Football Cuppers Round Up

Goals galore in first round of Cuppers

The first weekend of Cuppers delivered plenty of goals as fifty-seven were scored in just ten matches.

The featured match this week was the interesting top division duel between Fitz and Pembroke, which saw Fitz emerge 5-1 winners. Although the score line suggests a one sided match, Fitz had to work hard against a very spirited Pembroke side.

Another top division side, Trinity, produced the biggest score of the weekend as they dismantled third division Corpus 9-0. The Trinity side were in unstoppable form as their far weaker opponents leaked goals. On the back of this form, Trinity can look forward to next weekend’s top-flight match against Emma.

St. Johns will be buoyed by their thrashing of the University Cypriot Society. Johns have struggled in the top division so far but cruised to a 7-0 victory. They will hope to carry this momentum into next week’s match against Jesus as they search for their first points of the season.

The highest scoring match of the weekend however, saw second division Churchill beat lowly fifth tier Peterhouse 7-3. Churchill will next play either Christ’s or Emma after their match was postponed.

In the remaining matches, Girton ran out winners against Magdalene, 2-0 and Homerton had no problems beating Clare Hall 5-0.

Darwin progressed against Tit Hall 4-2 to meet Downing in the next round, and Robinson lost to CCCC.

Finally, in two second division clashes, Caius overcame Queen’s and leaders Selwyn defeated Kings.