Light Up or Pay Up

Police are taking to the streets for a week from Monday in an effort to clamp down on dangerous cycling. Cyclists not obeying traffic laws in the city will be […]

Police are taking to the streets for a week from Monday in an effort to clamp down on dangerous cycling.

Cyclists not obeying traffic laws in the city will be given an on-the-spot fine of £30.

The fine will be accompanied by a free bike lesson for those pedaling on the pavement or deviating from the law in other ways, and those biking without lights will receive new lights.

The scheme is in conjunction with the city council and is branded an "enforcement and education" campaign.

A second-year Sidney Sussex student told The Tab about his run-in with the police about bike lights last year: "I left the library on Sidgwick later than I’d anticipated and hadn’t brought my lights with me.

"As I cycled through Market Square I got stopped by a couple of officers and had to shell out. It was bloody annoying."

The clocks go back by one hour on Sunday 25th October, marking the end of British Summer Time and it getting dark earlier.