The SNOOD

Missoni Autumn/Winter 2009, Burberry Prorsum Autumn/Winter 2009    Though the word still never fails to amuse me, it’s probably worth trying your best to dispel all the comical images which […]

Alexander Wang Annabel Lim cambridge tab Emanuel Ungaro Fendi Missoni snood

missoniburberry

Missoni Autumn/Winter 2009, Burberry Prorsum Autumn/Winter 2009 

Though the word still never fails to amuse me, it's probably worth trying your best to dispel all the comical images which the word itself may inspire because you may soon find yourself wearing this ubiquitous scarf/hood hybrid. The snood was seen months ago on the runway at Fendi, Missoni, Emanuel Ungaro and Alexander Wang, and now can found in many high street shops in Cambridge including Topshop, Accessorize and Reiss (their black sequin snood multitasking its way through three trends at once!)

Clockwise from top left: Topshop £25, Banana Republic £80, Reiss £69, Dorothy Perkins  £12

The snood could be a useful addition to anyone’s Michaelmas wardrobe. It provides a simple, comfortable alternative to the basic scarf when worn around the neck: its drapey form creates a casual style while providing all-important neck insulation. And whenever you feel like being more directional you can instantly up your fashion ante by wearing it in "hood" style as favoured on the runway. As far as colour, style and fabric goes this season, you can’t go far wrong. Practically any style you can think of is available, understandably including almost all those you can find as scarves. That is, apart from College Snoods which I believe are still yet to be made!