Freshers’ Week will take place in-person for first time in two years, Bristol SU confirm

The two week programme includes a series of club nights as well as in-person Freshers’ Fair

Bristol SU has announced that subject to the latest government and PHE guidance, Freshers’ Week will go ahead with two weeks of mostly in-person events beginning 2oth September.

Officially titled Welcome 2021, the highlights include the return of an in-person Freshers’ Fair between 24-25th September and a series of club nights from the first week onwards.

This will be the first in-person Freshers’ Week since 2019 after last year’s wholly online edition. As a result, whilst the majority of events are exclusively for first years, the SU has emphasized club nights are open to all students. This is to help welcome students back to Bristol and make up for those who missed out on their Freshers’ experience due to Covid.

In a break from tradition, Bristol SU has decided to get rid of the infamously cool Fresher wristbands and instead will be selling a digital ticket pass for entry to events.

Always one person wearing their wristband a month after Freshers’ Week

The digital pass will cover the opening night at SWX and closing night at Motion, with students being able to buy individual tickets for other nights.

Following this morning’s fire at SWX, this venue may be set to change depending on the extent of the damage. Freshers can read a full breakdown of what all the Bristol clubs are like here.

There are a number of unofficial Bristol Freshers events running throughout the city at the same time. To help spot the difference, official events will not make any reference to a wristband and will carry the SU logo.

Away from clubbing, the Anson Rooms will be converted into a Beer Garden for the two week Welcome period. The space will host pub quizzes and DJ sets for students to enjoy. Other events will take place right across campus including in the newly extended SU Living Room in Senate House.

Welcome Fair better known as Freshers’ Fair will take place across two days on Friday 24th and Saturday 25th September. As in previous years, this is expected to take place in-person on the Downs.

The Welcome Fair is an opportunity for freshers to engage with hundreds of student societies as well as pick up the very best discounts and freebies from local businesses who will also have stalls at the event.

Ifrah Farooq, Union Affairs Officer at Bristol SU, acknowledged that “many students felt they had missed out on their Freshers experience last year” and that the SU was “working hard to make sure everyone had an opportunity to get involved this year”.

“I’m personally looking forward to a two-day Welcome Fair for the first time. Welcome is all about building connections and finding your community – which is so much easier in-person”, she said.

Following Welcome Fair, student groups including sports teams and societies will be hosting Give it a Go sessions. This allows students to try out different activities and meet new people before committing to membership.

Obafemi Alabi, Sport and Student Development Officer at Bristol SU, said that with societies “back front and centre”, it will give “opportunities for everyone, not just first years to try something new and meet new people”.

Bristol SU will launch the official events programme in full on A-Level Results Day, Tuesday 10th August. To receive the latest updates about Welcome events and when tickets are live, follow this link.

Follow The Bristol Tab’s Facebook and Instagram pages for the latest Bristol Uni news and updates!