The safety net policy is being ‘discussed’ by Bristol Uni along with updated guidance

A spokesperson also said: ‘We know how important in-person teaching is for our students and we are committed to ensuring we continue to offer the best possible education’

Following last night’s announcement that there is to be a third national lockdown, The Bristol Tab has been informed by the university press office that the safety net policy is being “discussed” by the university.

This comes after the start of a petition for a safety net policy, which has over 1000 signatures so far, and is in line with similar campaigns started by other unis across the country. Students have also started to circulate open letters to faculty.

The Bristol Tab spoke to Anna Vause, a History student who wrote her own open letter pleading for the return of the safety-net policy. She said: “The situation is worse than summer, and it is ridiculous a safety net has not been introduced. The stress on students has been horrific, and, although lecturers and tutors have done so much to support us, the university body has failed to introduce any policy that will mean our grades are not negatively affected by the pandemic.”

Information on the safety net, along with detail on whether students should return to Bristol, what facilities will be open and how teaching will be delivered, is being constructed and finalised by the university. Students will be updated as soon as possible.

A University of Bristol spokesperson told The Bristol Tab: “The safety of everyone in our community remains the primary concern at this time.

“Following the Government’s announcement last night, we are awaiting further information from the Department for Education and will be assessing the situation before providing detailed advice to students and staff as soon as we are able to do so.

“We know how important in-person teaching is for our students and we are committed to ensuring we continue to offer the best possible education.”

Got any strong feelings about the safety net policy? Want to tell us about it? Drop us a DM on The Bristol Tab Instagram or Facebook and engage with our polls.