Student houses could be threatened with eviction if post-lockdown partying continues

July has been an ‘explosion of noise’ for Bristol residents, according to the Noise pages

Student houses have already racked up multiple noise complaints from their neighbours as a result of post-lockdown partying and a lack of social distancing, according to the latest Noise Pages E-Bulletin.

In the newsletter, Andrew Waller stated that if landlords adhere to their three strike policy “some students might have difficulty holding on to their tenancies.”

More than half of the complaints collected by the Noise Pages originate from the Chandos area and Hampton Road, with many houses already on their second complaint as students “catch up on the partying they missed during lockdown.”

Usually, Bristol residents would get a break from the noise and disruption that comes with the university term over the summer holiday, but due to students moving back early after the lockdown months residents have seen an “explosion of noise”.

Waller said: “No one begrudges young people a social life, but it is never quiet and apparently must take place when the rest of us are trying to sleep.

“Their partying has been prolific.”

How “The Eviction Timetable” has been sped up as a result of the early onslaught of partying

In the newsletter, Waller noted that he has posted 59 complaints from July 1st-31st, which is as many as he received during a six month period between September to February in 2019-20.

12 houses have already had their second complaint, and seven student houses already have three or more complaints against them.

However, the University of Bristol Community Liaison Officer Gordon Scofield confirmed that no penalties or disciplinary hearings can be given until term starts in October.

Waller encouraged readers to keep reporting the noise, as it may lead to successful eviction of particularly disruptive students who have already had multiple complaints: “Students are in residence for only about eight months of the year. Landlords often operate a three-strikes policy: email response to first complaint, letter to guarantors (parents) on the second, eviction threat (if at all) only on the third—except that, by this stage, the year is half-gone and an eviction would probably not complete before the lease expired.

“But this year is different. Students have arrived in the first of their 12 months and in some cases have already racked up multiple complaints. If landlords were to stick to their procedures, some students might have difficulty holding on to their tenancies.”