A complete guide to Christmassy date ideas around Bournemouth

It’s time to get the mistletoe ready!

It has always been a dream of mine to visit Hyde Park’s iconic Winter Wonderland. Sadly, the £10 left in my bank account doesn’t quite allow for that. Be reassured though that Bournemouth (surprisingly) has plenty of affordable activities and locations for the perfect Christmas date.

Christmas Tree Wonderland 

Bournemouth’s annual Christmas Tree Wonderland is a must for the perfect winter date. Running from 17th November until 1st January 2024, the event has everything to make for an unforgettable experience. 

There is a beautiful festive trailf of Christmas themed lights, including a whopping 60ft tall tree – perfect for those Insta pics. The luminous waterfalls are particularly romantic too. There are also plenty of benches around, so if you’re lazy like me then just sit and take in the sights! Be prepared to take lots of photos for random families and couples though…

Skate Bournemouth also provides the best ice-skating experience. Sessions last an hour, costing only £13.50 per person with student ID. Be prepared, though, to potentially look like an elderly couple as you try your very best not to plummet over…

The Alpine Market is also gorgeous, featuring everything from a choir and handmade jewellery to hog roasts and fresh hot chocolate in light-up flasks (a few pounds extra but a must in my opinion). 

Finish the date with a must-needed beverage from the ski-lodge-inspired Moguls Alpine Bar.  

Movie Night at the Odeon 

With various student rates and MyOdeon, what could be better than cosying up at the cinema in front of a Christmas film? Odeon Bournemouth are screening a variety of festive favourites throughout December, including Home Alone and Love Actually. The highly anticipated Wonka also comes to the screen on 8th December – maybe not the film to go to though if you have an embarrassing obsession with Mr Chalamet…

Cosy Club 

The restaurant certainly lives up to its name! Covered with beautiful beautiful paintings and a red interior, Cosy Club is the ideal restaurant for a romantic meal on a cold, winter evening. The food quality is particularly high, yet the prices are very reasonable. 

Slug and Lettuce 

The much-loved Slug and Lettuce have a new range of Christmas-themed drinks out – perfect for date night! still can’t get over the two for one cocktail offer – even if it doesn’t end up saving me that much money after all… 

Winter beach walks  

This is perhaps an obvious suggestion, but I don’t think we take advantage of our wonderful beach enough. It also makes for the perfect winter morning stroll with that special someone. So, grab a flask of hot chocolate and enjoy that fresh, sea breeze.

Netflix and … chill 

Ah, the all-time classic! Seriously though, if you’re low on money and just want a quiet time indoors, turn on a classic like The Holiday and just relax. Job done. 

And if you’re single this holiday, then tis’ the season to be jolly with friends instead!