Bournemouth uni offering students a 50 per cent rent rebate for the lockdown period

Students in halls won’t have to pay their normal rent rates until March

Bournemouth University is offering a rent credit worth 50 per cent for those students who have been unable to return to their halls of residence due to the third lockdown.

The credit will cover the students’ rental period between the 11th of January and the 5th of March to limit the financial impact of the third lockdown upon students.

Many private partner accommodations have reportedly also teamed up with Bournemouth University to offer their residents rent credit or rebate.

Bournemouth University has made the decision to offer rent reductions in light of the financial hardship that many students are facing at the moment. For many students, this rent credit will enable them to save up to £80 a week on rent.

The rent credit will be applied to students when they pay the final instalment of their rent in April 2021.

Bournemouth University Chief Operating Officer Jim Andrews said: “We have been working since the start of the pandemic to make sure our students and staff are supported and are doing all we can to help our students as they study during a very difficult period.

“We’re pleased to be able to offer accommodation support where we can, but all of our students will benefit from the academic support, financial hardship support and wellbeing support we have in place, and any student wishing to explore this support can find it on our website, or by contacting AskBU.

“Thank you to all our staff who have been working so hard through these circumstances.”

Alongside the rent rebate, Bournemouth University has a number of financial support schemes in place for students. These include laptop funds, emergency loans and small emergency grants. For more information of the financial schemes offered at Bournemouth University click here.