Murder trial set for later this year after Cody Fisher stabbed in Birmingham club

One of Cody’s friends has described him as having ‘an infectious smile’

Two men accused of murdering 23-year-old Cody Fisher at a Birmingham nightclub are set to stand trial later this year.

On Boxing Day Cody, who was a non-league football player and sports coach, was stabbed on the dance floor of Digbeth club Crane whilst on a night out with friends. 30 minutes later he was pronounced dead.

Today, Kami Carpenter, 21, and Remy Gordon, 22, both from Birmingham, appeared at Birmingham Crown Court. Neither entered a plea on a charge of murder. They were remanded in custody.

The pair are next due to appear on 17th March in court for a plea and trial preparation hearing. The judge, Paul Farrer KC, set a provisional trial date for July 3rd.

On Monday, Carpenter and Gordon pleaded not guilty to a linked charge of affray.

James Behan, a friend of Cody Fisher said the impact its had on Cody’s family and friends has been “devastating”. James said: “Our friendship group has a hole now which can’t be filled, I was out the night it happened, it hit me like a tonne of bricks. He had an infectious smile. A love for life, his friends, his football, his family.”

Another friend, Kelsey Mooney, added: “Anyone who knew him, wouldn’t say a bad thing about him. It was just the wrong place, the wrong time, it hasn’t hit me yet.”

Cody’s family said, in a statement made via the police: “I have lost my best friend. My family and I are asking for privacy and respectfulness at this heart-breaking time.”

West Midlands police said there had been “serious management failings” at the club and described the events that took place on Boxing Day as “a scene in chaos”.

The nightclub, Crane, has since had its license suspended. A spokesperson for Crane said: “An expedited review of a premises licence is normal whenever any serious crime takes place at a licensed premises, and we are cooperating fully. We place the highest priority on all aspects of public safety and security.

“Whilst it would be wrong for us at this stage to react to individual, anecdotal accounts of the circumstances that applied on Boxing Day, we do employ extensive and professional security procedures for all public events, and our contracted security staff are professionals who are licensed by the SIA. But we will of course be conducting a full and detailed review in light of this week’s tragedy, as well as assisting fully with the ongoing police enquiry.”

Another 22-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder has been released on bail, as well as four others arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Featured image via SWNS