Farewell: Old Joe to lose clock face during restoration works

Update: Check the date

brum clock clock face construction exams joseph chamberlain memorial clock tower old joe time university of birmingham UoB

You might have difficulty telling the time now, as our beloved Old Joe is being taken down.

The clock face will have to be removed to protect it while the tower undergoes restoration works.

The clock will be taken down after exams for approximately six weeks.

It’s part of the wider construction projects on campus, including the building of the new library and sports hall.

What the tower will look like

The current library will be demolished when the new building is complete, opening up the Green Heart of campus, of which Old Joe will be a key part.

The Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower, or Old Joe, was constructed between 1900 and 1908, and is one of the fifty tallest buildings in the UK.

It even had an asteroid named in its honour in 1989, but without a clock face, Joe is just a really tall brick tower.

It can be seen and heard for miles around, and is adored by students past and present.

Last year, everyone was shocked when protesters vandalised Old Joe during a Defend Education Protest.

They sprayed graffiti across the Clock Tower before they broke down the doors and climbed to the top.

Staff have been warned students may be late to lectures, as they won’t be able to tell the time easily on campus any more.

Second Year student Ruth said: “I can’t believe this is happening.

“Joe looks fine how he is, he doesn’t need any restoration work. Everyone is going to be really gutted, how will we tell the time?”

The clock tower was designed as an initial part of the campus, and this will be the first time in over a hundred years it won’t be a functioning.