Rugby Varsity: Firsts versus Medics

Rest assured, someone’s going to need a doctor

firsts medics rugby sport

In the biggest game on the Birmingham rugby calendar, expect blood, brawn and unparalleled rivalry. 

It’s a game fans drool over, the lingering thought etched on every player’s mind, the sure-fire way to a head coach’s premature balding.

The rugby varsity is back.

Medics (left) versus Firsts (right)

The game is expected to pull in the crowds this coming Friday (12 December), and UBsport is laying on all the works for the occasion.

In typical varsity fashion, the Birmingham Pussycats and UoB Dance Squad will be providing the half-time entertainment.

And there will be a bar and food stall pitch-side – for all of those in need of a pre-Fab tipple, with the Red Bull Music Truck providing the night’s surround sound.

All proceeds from the match will be donated to Wings for Life charity.

History

It’s fair to say there’s never been any love-loss between these two teams. Sworn enemies on and off the battlefield, the rugby varsity has never failed to deliver anything but a spectacle to savour.

Historically, the Firsts have enjoyed victory more so than their rivals, but last time round it was the Medics who lifted the Gallowglass trophy with a resounding victory in 2012.

And with the Firsts determined to set the record straight, this year’s contest really is too close to call.

It’s going to be a titanic encounter

Ones to Watch

We caught up with the two teams before the show down – check out the players who could lead their sides to victory:

Firsts

Medics

To find out more join the event here.