Mauds Ice Cream to open on Ormeau Road

Some wholesome news to reassure you that not EVERYTHING about this semester is a disaster

Mauds Ice Cream has come through for us students when we needed them most, and now proving true to the claim, they are opening a store on the Ormeau Road. Huzzah!

Amidst all the dreadful news that is circulating at the moment as Northern Ireland enters a circuit breaker lockdown, this new opening is a breath of fresh air for the students of Belfast.

Mauds is a popular chain of ice cream shops in NI and their café on the Lisburn Road is a top spot if you’re looking for a dessert that contains more chocolate than is probably safe for human consumption, or if you’re just after a wee cone of pooh-bear (a personal fave).

The latest addition to the expanding franchise will be located on the Ormeau Road bringing the creamy goodness of Mauds Ice Cream right to the doorstep of many students. Because God forbid we walked to the Lisburn Road in need of a cure or a catchup.

SDLP Councillor for the Botanic ward of Belfast City Council, Gary McKeown tweeted a photo of the new storefront on Monday, commending the chain for their further investment into the South Belfast community.

Speaking to The Belfast Tab, Councillor McKeown said: “It’s great to see Mauds arriving on the Ormeau Road. This is a vibrant part of town with many great coffee shops and restaurants, so this is a welcome addition”.

He added: “This is a tough time for local communities and small businesses in Belfast, so I’m glad to see a new establishment opening up that can provide a little lift for people. At a time of unpredictability, hopefully this will provide a boost to the area and help it get through the current challenges.”

Adding to this, QUB History student Lucy Bell said: “I’ve always loved Mauds and you should never underestimate the power of a mint choc chip ice cream to cure a hangover, so it’s great that this new branch is so close to my own doorstep. It’s also brilliant to see a local business like Mauds thriving during these tough times.”

Mauds Ice Cream have not yet confirmed the date of the grand opening, but the storefront is a cheery addition to the ever gentrifying Ormeau Road.