Culture Night is Belfast’s jewel in its crown

Better than any old tribal tradition

Out of all the cities I’ve ever been to, Belfast is my favourite. It’s not because it’s where I was born. It’s because over the past few years I’ve seen Belfast come alive. I’ve been to Prague, London, Paris, Barcelona, all incredible cities, but none of them had that vibe that makes Belfast special.

Not long out of a conflict, with so much talent, humour, creativity and so much to prove. Unfortunately we don’t get to show off our potential to often.We often have a confidence problem in Belfast. Too afraid of standing out we hide back in the crowd. But that is changing.

Photo credit: Colum Coyle

We still however don’t have a huge amount of places to express ourselves as artist. We have great clubs and bars, with a hell of a burgeoning music scene but there are not enough places for strange one offs, standup and art. Places like the Black Box do most of the heavy lifting in supporting this type of art, but there isn’t enough for all Belfast has to offer.

The one night in which Belfast shows it’s true potential, is Culture Night.

We are a town ripe for artists and artistry and on Culture Night every street corner and alleyway becomeS a stage. Hundreds of art shows, exhibitions, films, raves and much more take place all over the city.

I remember last year I went with a few friends. We first stumbled into a tatto parlour, giving out free whiskey and sweet. We then walked next door into a beanbag cinema and watched a few short films with our whiskeys. After that we headed to Black Box and watched aSci-Fi influenced burlesque show. Think of that opera scene in fifth element, but much darker and with nipple tassels. The incredible performer climaxed her show by pulling a still beating heart from her chest and offering it out to the crowd.

After a bit of Afrocaribean dancehall djs we  walked out to find an impromptu street rave happening in the alley beside Black Box. About a hundred people all tapps aff, all squeezed into an alley no more than a meter wide. It was not a planned event, not on any programme. Someone had brought a speaker and some decks and started a party. The cops eventually shut it down (Smell bacon anyone?) But for about half an hour it was some of the best craic we’d had all year.

That’s the sort of night you’ll have at culture night. That’s why 80,000 people are expected to go this year alone. That’s more than both the Twelfth and St Patrick’s Day. And in my opinion culture night’s more important than either of those days.

Last Year’s Lumen

Pete Woods, DJ at Lavery’s and DJ/founder of  Thursdaze spoke to me about culture night. “There’s something special about Culture Night” he said “Belfast still suffers from the hangover of the Troubles, with our city centre like a ghost town most nights after 6, but Culture Night is the one time a year that’s thrown out the window. There isn’t any other night you could imagine over 80,000 people on the streets of Belfast drinking without seeing a fight, just soaking in the atmosphere and the best the city’s creatives can offer. After years of being down as a punter, I’m delighted to finally be involved with our visually intense Lumen party.”

You’ll remember Lumen from last year, the huge building with an insane lighting set up, pumping techno all night. Run by Belfast heavyweights in the club scene DSNT and Guerilla Shout. This year they’re back with Lumen’s Machine Music  at Villa which promises to be one of the highlights of the night.

That’s the one

There are so many gems dotted around the city I suggest you try walk around and take it all in. If you’re a student who’s just moved to Belfast, you will see the city at it’s best tonight. Everyone is celebrating, everyone is entertaining, the atmosphere everywhere is electric.

@Paul_J_Kennedy