Internet; friend or foe?

The Internet; is this the best or worst creation of all time?

| UPDATED internet negative positive

Social Networking sites

The easy and effortless way to communicate and keep in contact with our friends near and far! We can never be out of the loop with the endless means of engagement the internet has to offer.

Yes this is fabulous but from Facebook, twitter, instagram, whatsapp, tumbler (to name but a few) where do we draw the line? Do we not miss our privacy and personal space? Do we not find the internet invasive? Or do we enjoy everyone knowing our every move?

From some of my observations it seems to me that yes, some people are surprisingly more than happy and take pleasure in exposing every aspect of their lives to friends, acquaintances and even strangers over the internet. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about; from baby scans to personal problem filled statuses.

Apparently nothing is sacred anymore, every little detail should be shared and being reserved and conservative is unfortunately a thing of the past!

I know I myself have been shocked, stunned and horrified at some of the revelations people make on social media networks but if you don’t find everyone knowing how drunk you got last night or what your bra size is even slightly embarrassing then the internet will definitely not come as a culture shock to you.

Easy access

A further problem the internet poses, what if we are trying to avoid someone? Well sorry you can’t, because if they can’t get you on the old hand held telephone well then you can rest assured that the 21st century has brought them a million other options as a means of tracking you down!

You do not have the right to remain silent, prepare to be bombarded.

Snapchat

I felt it apt if I dedicated an entire paragraph to the infamous snap chat, forgive me if I sound hypocritical at any moment because I must hold my hands up and say I am also guilty of being a frequent Snapchat user, but with everything, there are always those who take it too far!

What I don’t understand is those who act like a paid photographer and feel the need to record their entire night out! If your party is THAT good then why the hell are you sitting on your phone all night?

If I wasn’t at the party last night I know I can always watch the highlights from the comfort of my own bed on the app that rocked our social lives that is Snapchat!

Well I did admit to being guilty!

and again…oops!

The demise of face to face contact

It’s no secret that social media has caused a decrease in real life interaction between individuals! By drawing everyone’s face to their phone it is no surprise that verbal communication is on the decline!

Therefore the purpose of social networking sites is proving quite ironic as it is most definitely creating an opposite anti-social effect. Social skills and basic conversation are slowly dwindling and this can only make for a cheerless and dismal future.

Academic aid

It may sound like I have gave the Internet a bashing so far but I am also aware of the many usages it provides! You have an assignment due in a week and you’ve been less than attentive in this semesters lectures/tutorials/seminars, what do you do? Yes you resort to trusty old Google!

It is no secret that the internet is every student’s best friend when they need to become an expert in a specific field in a limited amount of time. So thank you for that internet!

18th Century Literature Assignment complete…with a little help from Google scholar

To conclude, I am still undecided as to whether this marvelous invention is very much a help or a hindrance!