Giro d’Italia comes to Queen’s

Northern Ireland is playing host to the “Grande Partenza” of the Giro d’Italia from 9th – 11th May.

belfast cycling Giro d'Italia

Unless you’ve been living under a table in the McClay these past few weeks, you’ll know from the swathes of pink everywhere you go that the Giro d’Italia has come to Northern Ireland. Think Tour de France, except in Italy.

#Girostart2014

And if like me you were wondering since when did Italy annex Northern Ireland (and why?!), traditionally once every 2 years they start the race overseas, and this time Belfast hosted the “Grande Partenza” from 9 – 11 May.

Never one to miss out, Queen’s decided to get in on the action and organised a selfie competition, as well as a spinathon in front of the Lanyon building, with any money raised from fundraising efforts going to RAG-supported charities like Age NI and The Michaela Foundation.

They also held a competition for the best pink outfit on the day.

Encouragement for selfie fans everywhere

The spinathon took place in front of the Lanyon Building

Over 200 professional cyclists took part in the first stage of the tour – a 21km time trial that wound its way through Belfast beginning at the Titanic Quarter and ending at City Hall.

The cyclists make their way past Queen’s

Road closures were in place for most of the day, from 9.30am-12pm and 4pm-8.30pm. Queen’s encouraged its staff to cycle to work to celebrate the occasion.

Stage Two of the Giro takes place on the 10th and will see the cyclists leave Belfast and head north for a 218km tour of the Causeway Coast and the Glens of Antrim before ending up in Belfast once again.

The final day will see the cyclists leave Northern Ireland and go south, from Armagh to Dublin.

Crowds attend the festivities at Queen’s

The Lanyon Building turns pink for the occasion

Follow the Tab on Twitter @TheTabBelfast and tweet us photos of your Giro selfies and best pink outfit!