Homophobic Fonacab driver kicks gay Students out of Taxi

Three QUB students were left reeling on Tuesday night after being kicked out of a taxi by an angry homophobic Fonacab driver on the popular student area of the Malone Road.

elms village fonacab homophobia kremlin malone road

Mark McLoughlin (19) a first year Psychology student, was targeted by the driver and told to “Get the fuck out” of the car after his friend Stuart planted a harmless kiss on his cheek and neck in the backseat of the car. “He told us, I’m not having that in my car”, says Mark.

The friends had barely begun their journey to Kremlin nightclub from Elms Village when the incident happened. A social media uproar has followed, with many shocked at the behaviour from a Fonacab driver – Fonacab are the official Belfast taxi firm for Elms Village and sponsors of the annual Belfast Pride Festival.

Mark told The Tab the friends were so shocked by the incident that they didn’t argue with the driver. Whilst kicked out and waiting at the side of the road they contacted Fonacab via another driver.

The taxi firm were apologetic and rang the next day to apologise. Mark said “They handled it well, but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place”.

He added that its his first experience of homophobia and he and his friends have not yet decided whether to take further legal action against the Fonacab driver, but they are considering it.

Fonacab have addressed the issue on Twitter. They also told today’s Belfast Telegraph

“We are aware of an alleged incident taking place and are conducting an internal investigation. It would be unfair at this time to comment as the investigation is still ongoing. We certainly would not condone this type of behaviour in any circumstance and would not tolerate this within our organisation.”