What is the most hated thing in Aber?

It’s not just Penglais Hill

We all love how our picturesque town boasts great beaches, historical sites and, of course, Yokos.

But sometimes going to uni in Aber can feel insular and claustrophobic.

With this in mind, we asked a bunch of students what they hate most about our town.

Rhys Andrews and Matthew Clarke, Freshers,  Computer Science

“Well, of course the hill is what we hate. But also the people that work in CK’s. They are grumpy.”

Joe Mason, Second Year, International Politics

Joe disgusted at the thought of walking up the hill

“Well the first thing that comes to my mind is walking up the hill. The trip is an analogy of life . Easy at first, but getting gradually harder, leaving you with little will to live halfway through, only carrying on through necessity and by the end you’re a shadow of your former self. It’s also often cold, lonely and depressing.”

Didi Gradinarska, Finalist, Internet Computing

“I hate how complex Aber is hard to reach  from any airport . The first time I came here I was supposed to arrive in Birmingham and to get a coach provided by uni, but my luggage got lost! I had my plane trip from hell, I missed my connecting flight and then I had to go through the pain of getting a new boarding pass. Eventually I landed to Liverpool, but I didn’t use a bus to reach Aber. I had to get a taxi – the most expensive option.”

Cecilia Cayado Nicolás, Finalist, English Literature

“I hate the fact that there is no blablacar or any kind of ride sharing community. I can’t get lost and explore the area around Aber and if I do, I wouldn’t even know how to come back.”

Emily Groves, Second Year, Marine Biology

“I hate that Aber is so small that when something happens everyone gets to know about it. Plus, I have a feeling of hatred and love towards the small size of the town. It’s nice Aber is not too big, but it is so hard to go and travel!”

Grigor Mironov, Finalist, Computer Science

Grigor thinking back at Christmas time in Aber

“Sometimes it can get a little boring since Aber is a student town and when students are not here it looks empty.Winter was fun – especially Christmas more than New Year when I got to see only one firework.”

Kassandra Jimenez, Finalist, International Politics

“I hate that it always rains and it’s windy at the same time. That everything is not close enough like to go walking but is not far enough to take the bus or drive.You always have to take care not to eat out side because you can get attacked by a seagull or pooped by a bird.”

Taylan özgür Topçuoğlu, Finalist, history and Politics

“I don’t like how some people here see me like I am not a human. Not only me, but foreigners in general. Those people act different in my regards,like if I was stupid. It really makes me upset. But at the same time they think that in Ankara we go around riding camels and this cheers me up.”