A drug dealer tells us what he thinks of student buyers in Aberystwyth

He only sells to people who have taken drugs before

Just like every other place in the UK, Aberystwyth has a hidden seamy underbelly. Our quaint market town is home to a legion of drug dealers always ready to deliver an abundance of illicit substances.

Faced with the prospect of mounting debt, more and more students are turning to dealing to fund their studies and lifestyle. We spoke to one student, a second year at Aber, who shed some light on this shady industry.

Let’s start at the beginning. How did you get into drug dealing?

“Back in school, legal highs were available on the internet and I saw the opportunity to make a killing and thought I’d be foolish not to take it. Weed has always been my main product and my best seller, but I do flip other products based on the supply and demand. Different events cater to different crowds – I’ll always sell MDMA when certain events are on. The most successful dealers know to target the market according to the events at that time.

“But I don’t sell the very addictive drugs that I feel can ruin lives. I would never sell anything that I wouldn’t take myself. I also only sell to people that have used that drug before. While I sell to make money, it’s also important to me that I do it without having an unnecessary adverse affect on my clients’ lives.”

What’s your client base like? Is it comprised of students?

“The students tend to be middle class with vastly large disposable income and a reckless spending attitude at the beginning of the term versus very low disposable income from the middle of term onwards. Locals make up a large portion of drug users in the area. Their income is usually less reliable than the students and as a rule of thumb I tend to only sell to those with stable jobs.

“The prices depend on what they want to buy. Obviously, larger amounts can be bought for a lower price – much the same as wholesale economics works for businesses.”

Do you ever do deals on campus? 

“No, that is unorthodox and against university rules. I don’t want to bite the hand that feeds me.”

The smoker’s kit

Is it hard juggling uni, lectures, a social life and dealing? Do you ever feel like getting a lawful job instead?

“Unlike a normal job you don’t work specific hours. I mean there are peak times and that but you couldn’t compare it to a nine to five office job. It’s a lot more sporadic than that. It’s a time consuming and difficult price to pay, and the biggest obstacles are always the police and snitches. But I think the price is ultimately worth it.

“I’m able to use the money to pay for uni stuff and other family expenses. I also try to use the money to better the position of those around me. They deserve a better quality life.”

Do you ever get hit on by girls or guys who try to use sex to pay for drugs?

“Not really. That sort of thing tends to happen with the more addictive hardcore drugs such as crack cocaine and heroin. Of course, you see a bit of that every now and again but it’s something I try to stay away from.”

Do you think you will continue dealing after university?

“Hopefully not. Drug dealing is a means to an end and like everyone else I would like to make legit money. However if the economic situation were to worsen, and job opportunities decrease, then the tax-free advantages of drug dealing would definitely look appealing.”

During exam time, are there more sales of concentration drugs like Adderall and Ritalin?

“Not particularly, which is a shame. It would be nicer to see more students taking drugs such as ritalin around exam time in an attempt to boost their performance. Ritalin is known to help young people with ADHD by calming them down. But for people without ADHD it increases their focus and a lot of students could benefit.”