Dyfed-Powys police considering removing pistols from officers

Over 70 currently carry pistols

aberystwyth armed police

A controversial poll is asking whether police should continue carrying firearms while carrying out everyday duties.

Currently, 74 officers carry pistols in holders, but the Police Commissioner has put it to the public to decide whether this should continue.

The practice has been branded “unnecessary” by many, which is why the online poll was launched last month.

Fresher Josh Chesters, who studies English, said: “I don’t think it’s necessary.

“In America it is a common thing, but it’s rather for fear and intimidation which is just not needed in Aberystwyth.

“I don’t see why firearms would be needed.  It would just cause more problems and I think everything could be handled without them.”

Is it needed in sleepy Aber?

Police commissioner of Dyfed and Powys, Christopher Salmon, said it is his job to ensure our views are considered.

He said: “Imagine you’re in Tesco. A police officer walks in to check up on the store. They say hello to staff, patrol through the store, talk to shoppers and leave.

“You feel reassured they are about. Good local policing requires officers to know what’s happening and to keep in touch with local stores.

“Imagine the officer is armed. He, or she, is carrying a pistol. They say hello to staff, patrol through the store and leave.

“Do you feel reassured, or do you wonder why they are there? Do you feel the same about talking to an armed officer as an unarmed officer?”

He added: “My job as is to represent the public and ensure their views are at the heart of their policing.

“That’s why I’m conducting a survey to understand how people in Carmarthenshire, Powys, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire would like to see armed officers deployed.”

Maths student, Akshay Ramsingh, said it’s not essential for a town as small as Aber.

He told The Tab: ”It wouldn’t make sense. It costs a lot to arm the police and it would not be worthwhile in a small town like Aberystwyth where the crime rates are low.’

”The negatives outweigh the advantages in this situation.

“It is quite intimidating to see armed police with guns, big guns especially, walking down town on a sunny day.”