Union cancel boxing match for Mayweather’s domestic abuse history

It was a last minute decision

Furious boxing fans are swinging for Aber’s Women’s Officer after she canned plans to show the ‘fight of a generation’ in the union.

On Saturday night, Aberystwyth’s SU revealed that they would not be showing the boxing match, after a request from the Women’s Officer, and have apologised for “the last minute change of plans”.

The Mayweather v Pacquiao match was due to be shown in the Cwtch bar at 10pm on Saturday evening, but was cancelled after a strongly worded request from the Union’s Women’s Officer, Claire Herbert, asking the Union to consider Mayweather’s “disgusting” history of domestic abuse.

Brave Claire said: “Throughout the year I have had many people come to me who have suffered at the hands at the domestic abuse.

“I felt, as a women’s officer, it would be more damaging to the people who have suffered than to allow a match to be shown with someone who has a high public profile of domestic abuse.”

However, many members of the would-be audience spoke out about their disappointment.

Daniel Middleton, 22, said: “Ridiculous. Football games are shown with players who have committed crimes, why’s this different?”

Masters student Matthew Vaughan also said: “I think that the idea of cancelling a boxing match to prove a point against anyone who has had a history of violence against women is rather short sighted.

“How long before anyone who has a history of any sort of criminal activity is shunned from society?”

Others took a more venomous approach and targeted the Feminist Society as the cause of their disappointment, with one student writing the venomous status: “What fucking feminists work for the cunty union! #status”.

FemSoc secretary Emily Power said: “The cancellation was an idea put forward to the Feminist Society, although the committee preferred the idea of holding a bake-sale with the profits going towards a charity that helps women who have suffered from domestic violence, we still put forward a vote to our members.

“Despite an overwhelming majority not wanting a cancellation, Claire Herbert, the women’s officer of the SU, made the decision to write a letter to the SU asking for the showing to be cancelled.

“Although this was not a move by the Feminist Society, we do understand the reasons behind the SU’s decision to cancel the show and we support Claire in her fight for awareness of domestic violence, whether that takes place against men or women.”

Claire Herbert also defended FemSoc, adding: “This was my own action, with no involvement Aberystwyth feminist society at all and I stand by my decision to support anyone who has suffered an abusive relationship. The student union is meant to a safe place on campus where people from any background or circumstance can go.

“There were other places in town which if people really wanted to watch the match they could. However, so long as the student union aims to support students, I feel that this safe space needs to be maintained at all times.”

Interpol student Shamima Blake was pleased that the showing was cancelled:
“The decision to not show the boxing match in the student’s union was the correct one. By no means should an institution, that represents thousands of students, legitimise domestic abuse by airing.

“Many at this Uni have been victims to domestic abuse and the union is a safe space and that needs to be shown. The cancellation is an example of that.

“I don’t want to say anything bad about FemSoc but I believe their reaction was one I did not appreciate, as a woman or a feminist.”

The Union are said to be releasing an official statement regarding the cancellation on Tuesday.

More to follow.

Do you agree with the Union in this instance? Let us know your views. Email [email protected]