Uni weighs up removing ‘inappropriate’ Bibles from halls

Is it really necessary?

bible christian halls inappropriate uni union

Cautious uni bigwigs are discussing removing the complementary Bibles from all its owned accommodation, deeming it “inappropriate” in a multicultural environment.

The “revelation” comes after more than 50 per cent of surveyed students in PJM claimed that placing free Bibles in their rooms made them feel “uncomfortable”, and only 4 per cent said it was “a good idea”.

The idea was debated at a student council meeting and the motion calls for all Bibles to be removed from University bedrooms by the end of this academic year.

The Bibles are usually provided in all University owned accommodation

Drama third year Anya Davoren said: “I’m pretty glad the Bibles are being removed. I hated that I wasn’t asked if I wanted this text that I don’t agree with in my room.

“I don’t like breaking traditions, but if that tradition involves having a religious book forced on you then it’s a tradition I’ll be glad to see the back of.”

No bibles to be provided here

Jessica Hearne, a Christian, said: “I think it’s disgusting for a free Bible in your room to be deemed ‘inappropriate’. Although we’re being called a ‘multicultural environment’, we are and have been for a long time, a Christian country.

“It offends me that the religious text of my country is being called inappropriate in its own country.”

“Practising your own religion is completely fine, but accepting the religion of the area you live in as the norm is also important”

International Politics second year Katharina Wezel is less convinced.

She said: “I personally don’t think it is important to have a Bible in every room. But, given that the Church of England and British culture, politics and education are so closely linked to it, I kind of expect a Bible in Uni halls.

“I am a Christian but I don’t need a Bible in my room to be one.”
Uni bosses say that they will review the situation as long as Aberystwyth’s
Student Union backs it.