Rugby girls stamp out homophobia on campus with rainbow laces

They don’t care which team you play for

gay homophobia lesbian lgbt rugby sport stonewall

Sports teams have united to stand up to homophobia, and the rugby girls are behind the campaign all the way.

The team are all wearing rainbow laces from Stonewall to show they don’t accept intolerance in their team.

All teams are encouraged to get involved, and whichever club buys the most laces will win a prize at the Sports Award Meal in May.

Sports Officer Emily Magnus said: “We want to show intolerance is not supported here and that all our sports teams are fun, friendly and fighting for equal rights.”

President of the women’s rugby team, Carys Thomas, said: “Aberystwyth is known as an open university and we are the same, whatever you identify as, you are welcome on our team.

“The fact all the girls on my team were keen to buy the rainbow laces when they were first told about them shows how far the sporting world has come.

“My hope is that we all walk out in our next match with rainbow laces tied around our boots.

“For all we know there are girls on other teams struggling with who they are and I hope it would help for them to see a supporting team on the pitch.

“Wearing the rainbow laces and the Aberystwyth badge will emphasise how accepting the university and the teams are to end homophobia in sport.”

Ready to kick the life out of homophobia – and hopefully win the match

They’re in full support of the campaign

Openly-gay student Jamie, 21, is pleased that the campaign is doing so well.

He said: “It really encourages equality in what has, historically, been a difficult area for gay people.

“In the 21st Century sexuality should not be a stigma, especially in university.

“It is a definite step in the right direction.”