Sportsperson of the Year devastated after he is denied a sport scholarship

The jock had a 40 per cent chance of getting the grant

aberystwyth university american football jock scholarship sport

A top athlete has been denied a £500 scholarship – even though he was crowned Sportsperson of the Year last term.

Curtis Williston, 22, was given the prestigious sporting award for his extreme achievements and dedication to the Tarranau American Footballers, but the University have since told him he did not qualify for their scholarship.

Only 25 students applied for 10 scholarships, and even though Curtis is the Uni’s top athlete, he was not selected despite having a 40 per cent chance.

The sports scholarship gives you £500 a year, a free Sporty Club card for discounted gym membership and a guaranteed place in student accommodation, should you want it.

Curtis in action

Curtis told The Tab: “When I won Sportsperson of the Year I was overwhelmed.

“It felt amazing to know I’d been selected out of all the nominees and that my hard work had been recognised by more than just my team.

“It’s one of the most prestigious awards you can receive for sports.

“I was so honoured.”

Curtis (right) celebrating his award

He decided to apply for the scholarship when he returned to Aberystwyth to do a Masters.

He said: “When choosing to come back to Aberystwyth for a Masters, I decided to fund my studies myself with help from my parents.

“On top of tutition and living fees I really needed to replace most of the American Football kit that I’d been using for three years, so I decided to apply for the sports scholarship to ease the inevitable financial burden.

“I more than fulfilled the requirements to receive a bursary, considering my recognised achievements.

“I received a letter which said there were a high number of talented applicants, and that unfortunately my application had been unsuccessful.”

The muscle alone deserves a scholarship

The dismissive treatment of Curtis’ achievements when he had chosen to continue studying there felt like a real kick in the teeth.

He added: “I felt so let down by the Uni, it didn’t make any sense.

“I don’t understand how I could be singled out as Sportsperson of the Year out of everyone who plays sports at this Uni and yet I couldn’t win one of 10 available scholarships out of the 25 applicants.

“The numbers just don’t make sense there.”

But Curtis insists he has no hard feelings to those who received the scholarship over him.

He said: “I am not taking anything away from the successful applicants at all.

“It just feels like the panel have selected sports people who cannot guarantee they will contribute to sport here, while completely ignoring what I have displayed right in front of them for three years.”

Justice for Curtis petition, anyone?