Blown away: Hurricane Gonzalo causes havoc in Aber

It was a bit windy

hurricane gonzalo storms weather wind windy

Aberystwyth felt the effects of Hurricane Gonzalo yesterday – it was definitely blowy out there.

Waves were crashing against the seafront and many couldn’t even get the front door open to leave the house, not that you’d want to.

“I couldn’t even open my front door last night it was that windy,” said English student Molly Jarvis.

Matt Summer, who studies Accounting, said: “I stayed in because it was too windy and I felt like I’d fly away, especially if I was drunk.”

The scenes last year

Final year Abi Leach braved the stormy conditions, all in the name of fitness: “I stupidly went for a run in it. It was so difficult.”

But it didn’t stop everyone from going out and braving the wind – for some, getting pissed at Pier Pressure was just too good to be missed.

The yellow weather warning didn’t disappoint, and the wind and rain is set to last the rest of the week.

Last year the winds were so strong the seafront got ripped to shreds and first years were evacuated from halls.

On the plus side, exams were postponed by a week. With that in mind – do your worst Gonzalo.