So, here’s the real reason why Martha calls Donny Baby Reindeer

The show is named after the pet name Martha actually called him in real life

Every couple has pet names and usually they make no sense to anyone else other than you and your significant either but Netflix’s new show Baby Reindeer takes that to a whole another level. Why does Martha call Donny that? Is she crazy? Is it just jibberish?

Well, the show does actually explain why Martha calls Donny Baby Reindeer in the last five minutes of the final episode. We see Donny sat at the bar at an unknown pub, having just returned from Darrien’s house.

Seemingly deep in reflection about the events that have taken place in his life, Donny pulls up a folder of all the voicemails Martha has left him that he is yet to listen to and it is in the first one he plays that she explains why exactly she calls him Baby Reindeer.

Martha recalls how growing up she had a cuddly toy baby reindeer that made her feel safe through a turbulent childhood and Donny evokes in her the same feelings of comfort as this toy once did.

why martha calls donny baby reindeer

via Netflix

In the voicemail Martha says: “That’s the thing I’ve always wondered really. Why people meet. Why people fall in love. That kinda thing. And I suppose that brings me to the Baby Reindeer thing, as I think you’re probably wondering.

“Basically I had this wee cuddly toy when I was young. Went with me everywhere. Earliest memory I have I think was Christmastime. This old photo of me setting with this paper hat on my head and this baby reindeer beside me. Anyway this reindeer was this cuddly, fluffy thing. Had big lips, huge eyes and the cutest wee bum. I still have it to this day.

“It was the only good thing about my childhood. I’d hug it when they fought and they fought a lot, you know. Well, you are spit of that reindeer. he same nose, the same eyes, same cute wee bum. It means so much to me. You, you mean so much to me. I’ve got to go.”

Donny breaking downs listening to Martha’s humanity, and well sanity, come through the voicemail and the cycle seemingly starts again as the bartender gives him his drink on the house.

Baby Reindeer is available on Netflix now. For more like this and all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook. 

Okay, we finally know whether Martha’s emails in Baby Reindeer were actually real

• Inside Baby Reindeer star Richard Gadd’s life: The real man who the show is also based on

• Who was Llewellyn Harrison? The man episode six of Baby Reindeer is dedicated to