marchioness cholmondeley pronunciation

Right, here’s how to actually pronounce Marchioness of Cholmondeley

The internet is baffled

It’s a truth universally acknowledged that spelling in the English language makes absolutely no sense. And never has that been more apparent than after Lady Sarah Rose Hanbury, aka the Marchioness of Cholmondeley, went viral on Twitter this week.

“British people tell you that they live in a real country and then introduce you to someone called the Marchioness of Cholmondeley,” wrote one person on X/Twitter. “I refuse to believe Marchioness of Cholmondeley is a legitimate title, and not just what would happen if I drank five glasses of wine and then tried to say Matthew Mcconaughey,” added another.

So, in case you’re one of the hundreds of people Googling “Marchioness pronunciation” and “Cholmondeley pronunciation” right now, here’s what you need to know about right way to say the name on the whole of the internet’s lips:

Ok, so how are you actually meant to pronounce Marchioness of Cholmondeley?

In case you needed any further evidence that language is losing all meaning and words and just sounds our mouths make in random sequence, “Marchioness” is actually pronounced “Maa-shuh-nes” and “Cholmondeley” is “Chumley”.

Yup, Maa-shuh-nes Chumley phonetically. Say it seven times in the mirror and Lady Sarah Rose Hanbury will appear behind you. Just kidding, but at least now you have a special skill (aristocrat pronunciation) to show off at dinner parties.

And who exactly is Marchioness Cholmondeley anyway?

marchioness chomondeley pronunciation

Credit: Nick Harvey/Shutterstock

Marchioness Cholmondeley – aristocrat and William and Kate’s friend for over a decade – has lived many lives. She was once a model for Storm and used to be a researcher for Conservative MP Michael Gove. Now, she manages the huge estate of her husband, David Rocksavage, (another iconic name).

Lady Sarah and her husband Dave actually own the Grade I-listed stately home Houghton Hall in Norfolk, where Houghton Festival is hosted every year. Which is why, you might remember Kate rocking up to party there back in August. Wild.

Related stories recommended by this writer

• Kate Middleton has just confirmed yesterday’s Royal Family photo was actually edited

•  Edited photos and international scandal: A full timeline of the weird Kate Middleton picture

• Kate has admitted she edited it, so here are all the dodgy editing errors in *that* photo

Featured image credit via Nick Harvey/Shutterstock