The Tab is hiring a Staff Writer at our HQ – here’s how to apply

Applications close Sunday 17th March

The Tab is hiring a Staff Writer to join our team. As a Staff Writer, you will be publishing multiple stories a day with a focus on entertainment and trends. Staff Writers will be writing the popular TV, celeb and internet culture stories that have everyone talking. You’ll be writing quick news, funny and voice-driven features, SEO stories, and some quizzes too.

The Tab is a news site covering student and youth culture, with seven million readers a month. We cover everything from Love Island to politics, as well as dominating uni campuses all over the UK. The Tab is part of Digitalbox Plc – the growing media company behind Entertainment Daily!, The Poke and The Daily Mash. At The Tab we put young people in charge; the average age is 25 and many staff go on to run their own team within three years. This is an exciting time to join The Tab as we continue towards our goal of becoming the mouthpiece of UK youth.

You will have a strong understanding of what young people care about: From Netflix and TV, TikTok trends, and celebs to class, mental health, and social justice. You will know what entertains people aged 18-25, and what makes them tick.

We are open to applications from different levels of experience: from ambitious grads to those with a few years’ writing experience under their belt. Ideally you will be located in or close to London and be able to join us in our London HQ where we work from 2 days a week. 

Key responsibilities:

• Writing at least five stories a day for The Tab’s national site, focusing on entertainment and trends 
  • Working closely with the social media team to identify trending topics
  • Working to monthly pageview targets

secondhome2

You’ll be writing stories like these:

You must:

• Have a 2:1 from a British university
  • Have at least six months of writing experience for student, regional or national media
  • Love keeping up with the UK and US zeitgest shows: think Love Island, MAFS, The Kardashians, Real Housewives, Below Deck, or whatever the trending shows of the moment are
  • Be numbers-driven, and thrive off ambitious pageview targets
  • Being based in London is preferred

We’d love it if you had:

• Some editing and commissioning experience
  • Experience writing clever, long form features 
  • A proven track record of writing pop culture takes that really resonate
  • We’d especially like to hear from you if you have experience managing another team member

The benefits:

• Salary dependent on your experience in the above
  • Hours: 9 am-6 pm on weekdays (with the option to start at 8 am and finish at 5 pm)
  • 4:30 pm Friday finishes
  • 25 days of holiday a year plus bank holidays
  • A free day off on your birthday 
  • Access to our plant-filled office in Spitalfields, East London, which has perks like free yoga classes, cake and thursday drinks
  • A young, sociable team
  • 24/7 access to doctors via the private WeCare app – for your physical or mental health
  • Company-wide parties and retreats every year
  • A company MacBook Air

To apply, send the following to Chief Features Writer Lydia Spencer-Elliott, ([email protected]): 

• Your CV
  • Links to three of your published articles
  • Three quick story pitches that will attract a big audience, relevant on the day of your application (include your headline and a very brief synopsis for each)

Applications close at midnight on Sunday 17th March 2024, and candidates should be available to start ASAP. If you can’t start now, please outline your earliest available start date.