Um, Kelly Clarkson had to pay her ex husband $160,000 per month as part of her divorce settlement

Um, Kelly Clarkson had to pay her ex-husband $160,000 per month in her divorce settlement

After apparently saying she wasn’t sexy enough to be on The Voice too!

Kelly Clarkson is one of the most beloved women in music and telly, but did you know that she had to pay her ex-husband Brandon Blackstock a huge divorce settlement?

Kelly finalised her split from Brandon in 2022 after calling it quits back in 2020, citing “irreconcilable differences”. During their seven-year marriage, they welcomed their two kids, River Rose and Remmington. As part of their divorce, Kelly paid him $160,000 a month for spousal and child support. When this was reduced to just the $45,000 monthly spousal fee earlier this month, Kelly was “relieved”, according to a source speaking to US Weekly.

Their initial financial agreement in March 2022 included Kelly – who is worth a reported $45 million while Brandon is thought to have $10 million in the bank – giving him $1.3 million as a one-off payment.

The pair’s love story began when they met in back May 2006 at an Academy of Country Music Awards. Brandon was probably lingering around backstage, as he is the stepson of country superstar Reba McEntire. If you are unaware of her illustrious body of work, you might know her from the iconic TikTok “A single mom who works two jobs” sound. She isn’t a lone parent anymore as she married his father, Narvel Blackstock, in 1989. They split in 2015.

Kelly wasn’t Brandon’s first wife as he was married to Melissa Ashworth, the mother of his two kids Seth and Savannah. Earlier this month, Kelly dubbed their messy divorce “extraordinarily hard” but found a home for the difficult feelings in her latest album, Chemistry, adding to the magazine: “You feel alone, and it’s just a blessing to be able to have that outlet for those emotions that are overwhelming,” she told PEOPLE magazine.

In October 2020, Kelly revealed that her two little ones were her main focus when talking about the toil her breakup was having on her after having been used to being open her whole career. She became famous in 2002 as the original winner of the television singing competition American Idol. In 2019, she cemented herself as one of telly’s most beloved characters with her daytime chat show, aptly named The Kelly Clarkson Show.

Two months later, Kelly was granted primary physical custody of River and Remmington as court documents asserted that “the level of conflict between the parents [had] increased” and they were having “a difficult time co-parenting due to issues of trust between them.” Someone close to Kelly told PEOPLE magazine that she was “pleased” with the decision.

At the same time, Brandon requested $301,000 in spousal support and $135,000 in child support each month. A judge made the final ruling an even $200,000 for both before it was finally reduced in December. This came after a judge order Brandon to pay back Kelly $2.6 million, a decision made after it was reported he improperly jacked up his management fee. US Weekly said that he had been found out for “overstepping in his managerial role and unlawfully procuring deals” that ought to have been dealt with by her agent. One of these incidents was when he reportedly tried to sabotage her chances at becoming a coach on The Voice after apparently telling everyone, including Kelly herself, that she wasn’t enough of a sex symbol to do the job!