Suella Braverman sacked

Suella Braverman has been sacked as home secretary by Rishi Sunak

The decision comes after she wrote a controversial article for The Times last week

Rishi Sunak has this morning sacked Suella Braverman as home secretary, after public opposition towards her and pressure for her to resign increased drastically over the weekend.

Last week, Suella Braverman penned a controversial article for The Times newspaper, where she criticised the Met Police’s handling of the pro-Palestine march for Armistice Day. Demands for Suella Braverman to either be sacked by Rishi Sunak or for her to resign came from both sides of politics and from Tory MPs after she was accused of undermining the operation of the police and public confidence in their policing. What Braverman wrote was branded “offensive” and “inflammatory”.

Suella Braverman’s piece for The Times accused the police of favouring left wing protestors over right, and said that the Met Police “plays favourites”. She also compared pro-Palestine marches to Protestant marches in Northern Ireland, another comparison branded as offensive.

Suella Braverman faced more criticism when people accused her of inflaming up the right, who broke past police barriers at the cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

It’s actually the second time Suella Braverman has left the role as home secretary – with the first time being during Lizz Truss’ ill fated tenure as Prime Minister in 2022 where she resigned after sending an official document from her personal email address.

Rishi Sunak is about to announce a cabinet reshuffle today in wake of the news, the official Conservatives X account has announced. Suella Braverman is yet to comment on Sunak’s decision this morning.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.