Alex Greenwood England boyfriend surgery

Girl’s trips and a football star boyfriend: Inside Alex Greenwood’s life off the pitch

She’s been dating her partner since they were at school

Alex Greenwood has had a phenomenal Women’s World Cup, making more successful passes than any other player in the tournament and securing England a place in the first final since 1966. She won the FA Young Player of the Year award when she was 18 and was part of the history-making team which won England the Women’s Euros in 2022.

And Alex has been living her best life off the pitch as well as on it. So, in case you’re intrigued by her life away from the Women’s World Cup tournament, here’s everything you need to know about her glam girl’s holidays and long-term football star boyfriend:

She’s 29-years-old and was the youngest player on the England team for the 2015 Women’s World Cup

Alex made her debut for England in 2014 and scored her first international goal that year against Montenegro. When she’s not playing with the Lionesses, she plays centre-back or left-back for Man City but started her professional career at Everton in 2010.

She’s super close with her mum Ali and grew up in Liverpool

Alex is really close with her mum Ali and often posts pictures with her to Instagram. She grew up with her mum and sister in Liverpool and told England Football how she “grew up playing [football] on the streets of Liverpool and would play there from the minute I woke up until my mum would call me in.”

Despite having the same last name and career, Alex isn’t related to the Manchester United player Mason Greenwood, which everyone has been Googling the whole way through the World Cup.

She’s always on glam girls holidays across Europe when she’s not training

When Alex gets time off, she’s always posting pictures of her girls holidays to Instagram – the most recent one being to Seville where she had cocktails and went sight seeing in some seriously chic outfits. Jealous.

She loves having a blow dry, wearing heels, and being a ‘girly girl’

Alex is notorious for being one of the most glam members of the England squad. “[She’s] very big into her heels, her dresses and her eyelashes,” Jordan Nobbs previously told reporters. And back in 2013, Alex told the Liverpool Echo: “I’ve always been a girly girl and I love getting my hair done but that doesn’t mean I can’t play football.”

Her boyfriend is a former Sheffield United player and says he’s her ‘biggest critic’

Alex has been dating the former Sheffield United centre-back Jack O’Connell since they met in sixth-form at Savio Salesian in Bootle. “I’m obsessed with football. Often, at home, all Jack and I talk about is football,” Alex previously said of their relationship. However, Jack hasn’t been able to play since 2020 because of an ongoing knee injuries.

Jack told Sky Sports during the Women’s World Cup: “[I’m] really proud of her. I’ve been there from the very start. I used to go and watch Alex when she was 16. It’s unbelievable how far it’s grown now. I’m her biggest critic as well. The standard that she sets herself, she has more to come. I get goosebumps when I think about it but I think she’s one of the best centre-halves in the world and she still has gears to go through.” Cute.

What’s Alex Greenwood’s Instagram?

Alex has 470k followers on Instagram and you can follow her @alexgreenwood5. But she’s not the only Lioness with a vibey Instagram account. You can find all of her team mate’s profiles, including Chloe Kelly, Mary Earps, Alessia Russo and Ella Toone, here.

• Boujee holidays and TikTok fame: Inside Lioness Mary Earps’ life off the pitch 

• Mayfair nights out and glam holidays: Inside Lioness Alessia Russo’s life off the pitch 

• Bucket hats and Ibiza sessions: Inside Ella Toone’s wild life off the pitch 

Featured image credit via Kim Price/CSM/Shutterstock and Instagram.