Ella Toone goal parents where from

Bucket hats and Ibiza sessions: Inside Lioness Ella Toone’s wild life off the pitch

It’s coming home!!!

When Lauren James was handed a red card and two match ban for stepping on Nigeria’s Michelle Alozie during England’s Round of 16 Women’s World Cup game, there were doubts whether midfielder Ella Toone could fill her shoes – doubts she firmly put to bed after scoring England’s first goal against Australia in the tournament’s semi-final, which led the Lionesses to a 1-3 victory.

And Ella is living her best life off the pitch as well as on it. So, in case you’re curious about her life away from the England squad and the Women’s World Cup tournament, here’s everything you need to know about her Ibiza raving and long-term pro footballer boyfriend:

She started playing for England in 2020 and is 23-year-old

Ella started playing for England back in 2020 and is also one of Man United’s key players. After scoring her goal against Australia she revealed her hand-heart celebration was for her friends back home: “I’m on strict orders from my mates,” she said ahead of the match. “We all got a matching tattoo before I came out [to Australia]. They want me to kiss it and do a little love heart. I promised them I’d do that.” SO CUTE.

She grew up in Tyldesley and is famous for her Manchester accent

Ella is from Tyldesley in Greater Manchester and her team mates are always imitating her Northern accent during training when they film TikToks together. Before playing football full time, Ella went to Fred Longworth High School and studied for a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport Science at Wigan and Leigh College.

She’s super close with her family and grew up playing football with her dad

Ella is super close with her parents Nick and Karen and has two brothers Adam and Jack. Ella’s dad encouraged her interest in football and took her to watch games at Hindsford Football Club from when she was just a baby. Eventually, she started playing games with “all the lads” from the club, including her cousins and brothers.

She loves wearing her England bucket hat –  no matter the weather

After the Lionesses’ Euros win last summer, Ella became known for her England bucket hat and takes it with her everywhere – including to the Women’s World Cup tournament in Australia for luck, which seems to be doing the job.

She’s best friends with her England team mate Alessia Russo

After playing alongside each other for England and Man United, Ella and her team mate Alessia Russo are best friends and call each other “Less” and “Toony”. Clips of them having the best time in Australia are constantly going viral on TikTok – playing darts, hanging out – and beating rival nations to get to the World Cup final.

She bought her first home after winning the Euros last summer

Absolutely thriving.

Ella has a boyfriend called Joe and they’re always raving in Ibiza together

Ella has been dating the Rochdale, Bolton Wanderers and Grimsby Town footballer Joe Bunney for years and she always shares pictures of them raving in Ibiza together. Goals. They’re both from Manchester and were reportedly introduced by a mutual friend.

“BIG happy birthday to my soul mate,” she wrote on Instagram on Joe’s birthday. “Thank you for being you 🫶 can’t wait to keep doing life together & making more special memories along the way!! Cheers JB for the endless love & laughter.”

She’s never seen without her nails or lashes

Another thing Ella’s always getting rinsed for by her team mates is her commitment to her nails and lashes. “Without my lashes I look about 12,” Ella explained on TikTok. “When I get my lashes done I think wow. You’re stunning,” she joked.

She’s the funniest member of the England squad and is always going viral on TikTok

If you’re already an Ella Toone fan, the words “HELLO NAN, IT’S ELLA,” might mean something to you. Just one of the viral moments that’s made her the internet’s favourite Lioness.

What’s Ella Toone’s Instagram?

Ella has 545k followers on Instagram and you can follow her @ellatoone But she’s not the only Lioness with a vibey Instagram account. You can find all of her team mate’s profiles, including Chloe Kelly, Mary Earps, Alessia Russo and Alex Greenwood, here.

• Boujee holidays and TikTok fame: Inside Lioness Mary Earps’ life off the pitch 

Mayfair nights out and glam holidays: Inside Lioness Alessia Russo’s life off the pitch 

• ‘It’s going to be tough’: Lioness legend reveals pressure on England at Women’s World Cup

Featured image credit via CHINE NOUVELLE/SIPA/Shutterstock and Instagram