Amelie McCann, sister of Madeleine McCann

Madeleine McCann’s 18-year-old sister has spoken out and been pictured for the first time

She’s currently applying for university

The sister of missing girl Madeleine McCann, Amelie McCann, has made a statement and been pictured – on the 16th anniversary of the disappearance. Amelie and her twin brother Sean have never been seen in public since they were toddlers.

Amelie is now 18 and applying for university, and was seen as she and her family attended a small gathering in their home village of Rothley, Leicestershire, to mark 16 years of her sister being missing. Madeleine was last seen at the family’s holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May 2007.

Amelie was pictured lighting a candle for her “still missed” sister, and other missing children at a war memorial, where pictures of Madeleine lay and a lantern still burns at all times for her. The family said prayers, but did not address the others in the crowds. Madeleine’s brother Sean was not in attendance.

Amelie was joined by a friend, as they read mantras and she said in a statement: “It’s nice that everyone is here together, but it’s a sad occasion.” Mantras chanted by Amelie and the crowds for Madeleine included “never never give up”, “leave no stone unturned”, “don’t forget about me” and “still missing, still missed”.

Right now, Amelie McCann is applying for university and her being pictured gives a glimpse at what her missing sister Madeleine may look like now, as an adult. Amelie has long blonde hair, and looks a lot like her sister, and her mother Kate.

Kate and Gerry McCann left a poem at the site after the vigil, and in a statement on the Official Find Madeleine Campaign Facebook page, added: “Today marks the 16th anniversary of Madeleine’s abduction. Still missing…… still very much missed. It is hard to find the words to convey how we feel.” They added they still “await a breakthrough” from the police investigation.

This comes following a girl coming forward and claiming she might be missing Madeleine. In the last few months, the world was captivated by Julia Wendell’s story, as she first started sharing “evidence” she might be Madeleine on an Instagram account called “I am Madeleine McCann”.

The account reached a million followers, and then was mysteriously taken down, as Julia headed to the US with a private investigator to get her DNA test completed. DNA test results later proved she was not the missing child.