Love Island Remi bullying

Yet again, Black Islanders are treated poorly but it’s their bullies who are protected

Love Island has a damning bullying issue it needs to sort out

Every year Love Island comes and goes and each year there are always allegations of bullying yet the issue remains the same and the vicious cycle continues, especially when it comes to Black Islanders. Former Love Island contestant Remi Lambert has slammed two Islanders, Luca Bish and Jacques O’Neill, for bullying him while they were all in the villa yet producers did nothing about it. Why are Black people always the targets in these situations and are always forced to deal with the repercussions of it? It’s time Love Island dealt with its damning bullying issue, especially when it comes to Black Islanders.

After Remi was dumped from the Island, he shared his experience with Jacques in the villa, going as far to say he ruined Remi’s Love Island experience. Multiple times Remi has said Jacques would mimic his voice and make fun of his appearance, yet he was still allowed to remain in the villa. It is already widely known Love Island has a race issue and this only furthers it. Remi isn’t the first Black Islander who has had to deal with bullying by other white Islanders who have faced no repercussions for their actions. Yewande Biala from season five in 2019 called out Lucie Donlan for purposefully not pronouncing her name in the villa, a racial microaggression many Black people are subject to each day.

Love Island has a bullying issue

This season of Love Island has proved the show has a serious issue when it comes to contestants bullying one another. Remi was only in the villa for a matter of days yet has said he spent most of them being bullied. After a video of Luca and Jacques circulated on social media of them mocking Remi, he released a statement, and said: “Everyone said I lied about the way I was treated in that villa, but this here is an example of what was going on whilst I was in there. Don’t know why they weren’t kicked out for their behaviour to be honest. It’s not banter, it’s clear signs of bullying.”

For someone to have to say they should have been kicked out for their behaviour just confirms the type of people television likes to protect. Also in this series, Tasha Ghouri was subject to bullying by other male contestants and was treated poorly in the villa and only got a measly, forced apology. When will those be held to account for how they treat others?

Love Island does not protect its Black contestants

Every Islander goes onto the show with the same idea as the other, the find love and maybe gain a few followers along the way. For years Black Islanders have faced the brunt of the show, whether it comes to being chosen last in the recouplings, or being bullied by their white counterparts or only been given screen time when they are having a disagreement or are in tears. These situations are all too familiar when it comes to Black Islanders and it’s time something was changed about it.

Remi being bullied is not the first instance of a Black Islander being bullied by other Islanders

Just as Love Island 2022 started, ex-Islander Rachel Finni was being mocked and bullied by four of her fellow former Islanders from her season in 2021. Although having apologised, it took being called out for their behaviour to realise the error of their ways. Why is it always Black people who have to deal with this? The types of people Love Island accepts onto the show needs to change and fast, I’ll be damned if another season comes and goes with Black Islanders being bullied behind closed doors. Why are they not allowed to have the summer of their lives like everyone else?

When approached for comment, ITV sent The Tab the blanket statement it has regarding Islanders’ welfare and the duty of care the show has towards them. This reads: “Extensive welfare measures remain in place to provide support to programme participants before, during and after filming. Ahead of this series, contributors on the show will be offered video training and guidance covering inclusive language around disability, sexuality, race and ethnicity, behaviours and microaggressions.

“ITV published its Duty of Care charter in June 2019 which laid out its commitment to the mental and physical well-being of all people working for, or with, ITV. The same month ITV Studios introduced throughout their content making business, refreshed processes and guidance to manage and support the mental health and well-being of programme participants before, during and after production.”

For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook. 

The Tab has approached Luca and Jacques for comment.