Cheap Student Eats

Matt Everett breaks out the student-o-meter in this essential guide to eating out

Captain America’s Hamburger Heaven

Location: Near Norwich Market, opposite Jarrold’s, 4 Exchange Street

Student-o-meter:-
Food- 3/5
Atmosphere- 5/5
Price- 2/5

Now, obviously, I’m not going to profess that a hamburger restaurant will have the greatest food in Norwich, however what sets this classic American Diner apart is its décor and atmosphere.

Walking up the stairs opposite Jarrold’s, you seem to be transported straight into a scene from Man vs. Food. The walls are covered in classic Americana with number plates and vistas of Las Vegas plastered from floor to ceiling. But you won’t find a ten ounce burger challenge in here. Instead the quaint eating area means you sit close to whoever you choose to go with, giving you plenty of opportunity to get to know your fellow diners whilst enjoying the vibrant atmosphere.

nom nom nom

As I said, the food itself is your classic selection of burgers with fries. There is a great array of sides; that is if you think you have room. I’d recommend the authentic American coleslaw; it’s chunky with a nice crunch to it.  You can expect to have a fun evening with your friends for £15 a head including a drink.

The price may put off some more budget conscious students but the hearty food, great atmosphere and overall fun atmosphere more than make up for Norwich’s own slice of Americana.

The Sausage Shop

Location: Norwich Market.

Student-o-meter:
Food- 4/5
Atmosphere-N/A
Price- 5/5

If you get tired of tricky to cook even trickier to eat frozen supermarket sausages then look no further than the market. Located in the heart of the market’s food section this is a great place to grab a bite to eat whilst you’re in town and want to avoid the typical fast food chains.

The owner’s hand-made sausages are all reasonably priced for their size (pardon the pun); and include both cheese and fried onions (optional, of course). The real delight to this stall, however, excluding the great price, is the home made ketchup. Served warm this sauce adds a great tang and mild spice to your hotdog of choice whilst allowing the fine flavour of the pork to come through.

You may find yourself buying two at a time if you’re super hungry but that will by no means be a bad thing and if you can avoid the Chinese and fish and chips stalls this is a rewarding find.

The Cherry Tree.

Location: Dereham Road, NR5 8TD

Student-o-meter:-
Food- 3/5
Atmosphere- 2/5
Price- 5/5

Now, I want to avoid talking about large chain restaurants in an article which is meant to be unique to Norwich but, talking as a student, this is one deal which is too good to miss. The Cherry Tree on Dereham Road is an unassuming chain pub located delightfully enough at a set of traffic lights.

The atmosphere is a tad “local”, but you can be sure there will be plenty of people in the same boat for one reason. You can get any two main dishes, specials or off the menu buy one get one free. No word is more welcome to a student than free! I went for a meal with a friend and nowhere else could you get a steak with choice of sauce and a plateful of bangers and mash, plus drinks and not break a £20 note between the both of us. For when you just want a decent plate of food and pretend you can actually afford to eat out properly.

The Cherry Tree is definitely worth a trip despite its less than attractive location, as you’ll probably make any transport costs back on the food (just don’t look at anyone funny!).