Dough-nutters

Two doughnut-crazed fans wait outside Durham’s new Krispy Kreme store for seven and a half hours for the grand opening

Two crazed fans queued outside Durham’s new Krispy Kreme store for seven and a half hours to celebrate its grand opening at 10am yesterday morning. 

Sam Cottrell and Shaun Scott were awarded a Krispy Creme Gold Card for their troubles, which gets them free doughnuts for a whole year.

Sam, from Durham, reportedly said “We’ve been massive Krispy Kreme fans for a long time and have been eagerly anticipating its arrival in Durham since it was announced a few weeks ago.

“We’re so happy to be the first through the door and to get our hands on a Krispy Kreme Gold Card and we’ll be sure to share with our friends and family.”

The duo joined a throng of doughnut-lovers outside the new coffee bar in a line that, according to passers-by, extended to more than 80 fans two hours before the opening. Many even wearing Krispy Kreme hats.

The coffee bar, at 9A Silver Street, has created 14 jobs and is Krispy Kreme’s 52nd store in the UK and third in the Northeast after Sunderland and Gateshead.

Judith Denby, chief marketing officer at Krispy Kreme UK, said: “We’re excited to finally bring Krispy Kreme to Durham and the response we’ve had from everyone around has been fantastic.”