Jail For Gilmour?

Charlie GIlmour could face jail after pleading guilty to violent disorder in the student protests last year, although he has been granted bail until after his exams.

It could be absolutely curtains for Girton historian Charlie Gilmour, as he is facing the prospect of being banged up for his role in the student protests last December.

At a hearing today, the Girtonite – who pleaded guilty to violent disorder – was told by judge QC Nicholas Price that his crimes were “of a serious matter”, and may well need a “course of immediate custody” in light of his confession.

He has been granted bail until July 8th to allow him to sit his exams, but the words of the judge suggest that jail could be waiting for the illustrious son of Pink Floyd rocker Dave Gilmour.

And not all questions have been answered yet: Gilmour is yet to admit whether or not he jumped on the bonnet of Charles and Camilla’s car, as they headed off to the Royal Variety Show in the early evening of December 9th.

The fact that Gilmour did not know it was the Cenotaph he was swinging from seemed to undermine the message of the protest to preserve education

Gilmour became a public symbol of the chaotic violence that marred the London protest last year after being photographed swinging from the Cenotaph. He was also captured trying to start a fire at the doors of the Supreme Court.

Other offences include smashing a shop window, aiming a rubbish bin at the Prince of Wales’s car, and stealing a mannequin leg – although the last charge has been dropped.

But unless the now infamous student decides to go on the run or run like hell, jail could await after exams and May Week are over.

Gilmour is not the only Girton historian to hit the headlines for the wrong reasons recently; Philip Brook faced uni disciplinary action last term after a lapse in judgement as TCS editor.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Oxford votes YES to a disaffiliation referendum

OUSU decides to put NUS disaffiliation to a vote while the CUSU referendum decision will be made next week.

Which Pokémon is your college?

Find out if your college is the very best, like no one ever was…

“Friends with benefits” means nothing

The ‘friends’ part is unnecessary. The ‘benefits’ part is disappointing.

, Bristol Editor of The Tab

Capitalism is dying – and we’re all becoming socialists

51 per cent of millennials ‘do not support’ it

QUIZ: How vain are you?

Bet you think this quiz is about you

, Editor of The Tab London

Staggering results show three-quarters of students want to leave the NUS

According to a Tab poll of 6,500 people

, National Editor

There’s going to be an investigation into sexist advertising

Reaction to the Protein World ads highlighted a need for change

,        

We’ve found the best alternatives to Naked palettes

Who wants to pay £38.50 for eyeshadow?

and

What trainers should you be wearing?

Take our quiz to find out