High demand for Bucky Easter Eggs

The future is now people. After numerous jokes about their production in previous years, Buckfast Easter eggs are actually here, and they’re the real deal.

D-Bees, an off licence in Lurgan, Co. Armagh (of course, where else?) have really cashed in after receiving 2,000 orders for their tonic wine themed Easter eggs within their first day of advertising the package.

Owner and entrepreneur Derek Brennan said the idea came to him after the major success of his Bucky themed Christmas and Valentines hampers. He has 20,000 of the packages to sell, which include an 140g chocolate egg, a mini 5cl bottle of the fine Lurgan wine, as well as a Buckfast-themed pen, lighter and magnet.

The egg is currently on offer at £8.99 for the in-store regulars, but will be available online for delivery all over Britain from 1st April at a reasonable price of a tenner. Buck up your Easter and grab ’em while you can!

5 fun facts about Bucky

1. Bucky has an alcohol percentage of 15% and the caffeine equivalent of about four coffees per 75cl bottle; a great carryout for a long night ahead.

2. This most famous of all the tonic wines has been made by Benedictine monks at Buckfast Abbey in Devon for almost 100 years.

3. Having been compared to the tastes of Calpol, and even Petit Flious (???) Bucky proves to be especially popular in Scotland, and of course here in Norn Iron (hence the nickname Lurgan champagne).

4. It has unfortunately been linked to anti-social behaviour and violence, gaining nicknames in Scotland such as “wreck the hoose juice” and “commotion lotion.”

5. The Scottish Prison Service found that in 2015, 43.4% of inmates had consumed the “wreck the hoose juice” before their last offence, despite it accounting for less than 1% of the total national alcohol sales.

Buckfast merchandise soon to take over the world