In pictures: Northern Lights illuminate skies across York

Only took a solar storm to make Tang Hall feel aesthetic

All eyes were on the sky last night in York, as a rare solar storm caused the Northern Lights to be visible across the UK.

For the first time since 2005, the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center in America issued a a severe geomagnetic storm watch, creating an opportunity for Aurora Borealis to be visible across the country.

The skies were clear enough for the lights to be visible across the city, and students have been sending their stunning pics to The York Tab.

Near Heslington Road

The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon, seen when charged particles from the sun collide with particles in the upper atmosphere and Earth’s magnetic field. They appear as streams of visible light, usually green or purple.

Campus East, Piazza

Typically seen in countries close to the arctic circle such as Norway, Finland, and Sweden, Solar Storms means that they can be seen from across the UK. They are often seen in northern Scotland, but last night they were observed as far south as Sussex.

Walmgate Stray

The lights are seen better though a camera than with the naked eye, as cameras can capture more light. They can also be better seen in the early hours, in dark spaces, away from light pollution.

Thief Lane

The aurora is predicted to also be visible on Saturday night, into the early hours of the 12th of May.

Tang Hall

Did you see the lights? Send us your pictures on Instagram @theyorktab