This is exactly what your favourite club song says about you as a York student

I can guarantee that by the end of this article you will feel upsettingly perceived

No matter where you’re from or what you study, you can tell a lot about someone based on their favourite anthem. Whether you live Nicki Minaj and you’re a pop girly through and through, or you love to lean into your indie side with a bit of Arctic Monkeys, your favourite club song says a lot about your overall vibe as a York student. Here’s a look at some of the classics and what they say about you.

Rasputin – Boney. M

You learnt the Just Dance 2 choreo off by heart and drunk you feels the need to let everyone know this by forming a dance circle to show off your moves (totally not speaking from experience here…). You are the life of the party and think everyone in the club is your best friend… your vibes are immaculate.

Murder on the Dancefloor – Sophie Ellis-Bextor

You’re one of two types of people: you either tell everyone that you liked the song before Saltburn came out or you excitedly scream at the opening notes, live your best life for three minutes and 53 seconds then stay on a high for the rest of the night. Whichever category you fall into you’re valid… but evacuate the dance floor is still superior.

Fluorescent Adolescent – Arctic Monkeys

You likely think your music taste is unique despite your favourite “indie” song being by the least “indie” indie artist on earth. I imagine you’re the type of person who approaches strangers on the street to ask what they’re listening to so you can judge them in a TikTok. You probably own at least one bucket hat and it’s part of your staple going out fit. Not to judge… but i am judging.

What Makes You Beautiful – One Direction

While it’s not your stereotypical club song… it always plays when I’m in salvos so it absolutely counts. You’re just a girl who never quite came to terms with the fact that your favourite band lied to you about their 18 month hiatus that is still going on eight years later. You were probably made fun of in school because you didn’t know how to like them a normal amount (again… totally not speaking from experience). You probably use the song to mentally transport yourself back to 2012 when pop music was still good and you were still truly happy… just me??

Shake it Off – Taylor Swift

You’re fun-loving, all around good vibes and are ready to have the best night of your life. You’re either a diehard Swiftie who skips the song when it comes on shuffle but think it’s the best song ever written when it plays in public or you just love the fun nature of the song. Either way I completely agree with your opinion as there is nothing more satisfying than screaming that bridge at the top of your lungs with your besties <3

Literally ANYTHING by Olivia Rodrigo

You’re likely a heartbroken and/or angry teenage girl (possibly in your 20s) and screaming along to vampire is your idea of therapy. No judgement here… but maybe embark upon a self-care journey.

Mr Brightside – The Killers

You like familiar things and that’s okay! Change is scary and sometimes so are nightclubs. However… you’re absolutely valid in your opinion as no song brings strangers together quite like this one and it’s a classic for a reason.

Breaking Free – High School Musical

The nostalgia wave makes you believe this song is the best thing ever written. I get the vibe that you’re either a drama kid or a Disney adult (which is okay!). You enjoy the brief feeling of escapism the song gives to you and likely force your friend to duet with you as Troy… which they may find annoying but who cares as you are the main character.

Dancing Queen – ABBA

If you hear this song when you’re in the toilets you will run as fast as possible to scream along. You love to dance, this is your main character moment and it’s your time to shine. You probably also watched Mamma Mia once and it completely took over your life, maybe you even want to get married in Greece and dance on the beautiful white sand beaches (if this is the case I wouldn’t say no to an invite…).

Superbass – Nicki Minaj

You learnt the whole song when you were eleven and live to impress people with your rap skills (honestly relatable). There is literally no other reason this would be your favourite club song.

As a die-hard pop girly maybe I’m biased but you won’t be able to change my mind on any of these songs unfortunately!! P.s. if you’re offended then I’m sorry that I hit the nail on the head with my opinions x