York student must keep 500m away from King Charles and banned from carrying eggs in public

The terms are part of his bail conditions

The York protester who was arrested after eggs were thrown at King Charles yesterday has said he’s been banned from carrying eggs in public and has to stay 500m away from King Charles, as part of his bail conditions.

The 23-year-old was arrested yesterday on suspicion of a public order offence, and was released on bail earlier today.

York student Patrick Thelwell was identified by various media outlets yesterday after photographs emerged of him being restrained by police.

He has now spoken about the abuse he received from the crowd at the time of the arrest, telling the Mirror how people were screaming “with pure rage” that his “head should be on a spike”, and spitting at him.

Patrick has also talked about his bail conditions, which he says include not being allowed to be within 500 metres within the King and not being allowed to possess any eggs in public.

He said these conditions were “amusing” and that the conditions had to be altered so he could go grocery shopping.

Patrick said he has been charged with Section 4 public order offence and is due in court on December 1st.

Credit: Tim Rooke/Shutterstock

Patrick told the Mirror: “I believe in democracy and solidarity with all the world’s people who are suffering right now in large part because of conditions created by the British state. […] It’s time for the people of the world to unite and have the revolution that we desperately need to survive.”

The King and Camilla, the Queen Consort were visiting the city yesterday to unveil a new statue of Queen Elizabeth II and attend a ceremony at York Minster. Videos on social media showed eggs being thrown at the King from the crowd and narrowly missing.

In videos, a man was heard shouting: “This country was built on the blood of slaves” after booing the couple. The crowd started chanting “God save the King” in response to the protester.

King Charles and Camilla in York yesterday, via SWNS

The King reportedly continued shaking hands with members of the public as eggs flew past his head and landed on the ground next to him

North Yorkshire Police said this morning: “A 23-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of a public order offence during yesterday’s Royal visit has been interviewed and released on police bail.

“The man was detained following an incident which occurred as King Charles III and the Queen Consort arrived at Micklegate Bar in York yesterday (Wednesday 09 November 2022).”

The Tab has contacted North Yorkshire Police for comment.

Featured image credit: Shutterstock and Tim Rooke/Shutterstock