Protestor who was arrested after eggs thrown at King Charles has been released on bail

A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of a public order offence yesterday

The York protestor who was arrested after eggs were thrown at King Charles yesterday has been released on bail.

The 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of a public order offence and has since been interviewed by police and released on bail.

Yesterday, York student Patrick Therwell, was identified by various media outlets after photographs emerged of him being restrained by the police.

Image credit: Tim Rooke/Shutterstock

The King and Camilla, the Queen Consort were visiting the city yesterday to unveil a new statue of Queen Elizabeth II and attend a ceremony at York Minster. Videos on social media showed eggs being thrown at the King from the crowd and narrowly missing.

In videos, a man was heard shouting: “This country was built on the blood of slaves” after booing the couple. The crowd started chanting “God save the King” in response to the protester.

The King reportedly continued shaking hands with members of the public as eggs flew past his head and landed on the ground next to him.

The North Yorkshire Police said: “A 23-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of a public order offence during yesterday’s Royal visit has been interviewed and released on police bail.

“The man was detained following an incident which occurred as King Charles III and the Queen Consort arrived at Micklegate Bar in York yesterday (Wednesday 09 November 2022).”

Featured image via SWNS