Update: York student detained after eggs thrown at King Charles

The police said a 23-year-old man remains in custody

University of York student Patrick Thelwell has been identified by various media outlets as the protestor who was arrested after eggs were thrown at King Charles in York today.

Patrick was photographed being restrained and carried away by the police.

via Tim Rooke/Shutterstock

North Yorkshire Police have confirmed that a 23-year-old man was arrested on a suspicion of a public order offence and remains in police custody. A spokesperson told The Tab they could not confirm the man’s name.

During his time at York, Patrick has helped to form the York Student Solidarity Network and is a former Green Party candidate for York City council.

Videos on social media show eggs being thrown at the King from the crowd and narrowly missing.

via SWNS

The King and Camilla, the Queen Consort visited the city today to unveil a new statue of Queen Elizabeth II and attend a ceremony at York Minster.

The King reportedly continued shaking hands with members of the public as eggs landed on the ground.

After, the King and Camilla continued on to unveil the 2m statue of Queen Elizabeth II, which was designed to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee. It was completed in August, the month before she died.

North Yorkshire Police said: “A 23-year-old man was arrested on a suspicion of a public order offence following an incident on Micklegate in York. He currently remains in police custody.”

Update: The protestor who was arrested has now been released on bail

Featured image credit: Tim Rooke/Shutterstock