Here are the five best York inspired Halloween costume ideas

Pass me the Long Boi costume ASAP

Spooky season is fast approaching! But if you’re anything like me, you haven’t landed on a costume idea yet. There is such a thing as having too much scope to choose from, so to make it easier for you, we’ve narrowed it down to five York-inspired ideas. These are each designed for you to fit in with the city’s broad traditions while still being a little non-conformist. So here are the five best York inspired Halloween costumes to make you look eerie-sistable:

The best costume up Norse? 

A Viking costume was inevitable here. You may be a history buff or merely like the idea of sporting a tunic. Either way, do the county of Yorkshire, coined by the Vikings as “Jorvik”, a service. Representing the long-lost Scandinavian sub-group while avoiding the question of authenticity has never been easier: the outfit is available to buy in full online.

Don’t fuck with the Peaky Blinders

Here’s one for the Tommy Shelby fans. Become dapper while emulating your favourite character from the iconic series. Although the show’s story and accents are embedded in Birmingham, many scenes were shot in different areas of Yorkshire, including Leeds, Ilkley, and Bradford. So keep your flat cap and high-fronted waistcoat at the ready. 

Any one of the York Uni Colleges

If you want to get involved with the campus itself, why not go as one of eleven famous figures inspiring the colleges? If you pick a more recent alumnus, this might be an easy way to pass as “Halloweeny” in your own clothes. Or, make your presence in the room known and channel your power-loving alter-ego: embody the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great. 

The landmark that is Flares

Why not go for a Flares-inspired look? Choose your favourite decade, the 70s, 80s, 90s or noughties and adorn yourself with all the colours you have in your wardrobe, reminiscent of the multicoloured dance floor. Throw on some (wait for it) flares, and tattoo some stamps all over you and then pop a VK in each hand to top off the look. What could be more York?

He’s an icon, he’s a legend: Long boi

Definitely the most terrifying of them all but SO iconic. He may be less replicable than those figures mentioned above, but if you want to stand out, here’s your winner. Someone in recent years took it so literally in crafting a neck and head, but any interpretation is valid. Wearing orange shoes and green and brown clothing could do Long Boi justice and a feather boa might add a little something. Bonus points if you’re above six feet, can fashion a beak, and are only captured in rare sightings.

Featured image via @Longboiyork