All classroom learning to be moved online at York for the entire ten week Spring Term

Libraries and study spaces on campus remain open

In an email sent out to students this evening, the Vice-Chancellor Charlie Jeffery has confirmed that all classroom based learning will remain online for the entire ten week Spring Term. This decision has been made adhering to the new Government issued lockdown restrictions.

The VC stated that in order to “offer some level of stability to our students, we have made the very difficult decision that all classroom-based teaching activity will be delivered online for the entirety of the Spring Term.”

“We want to be upfront with you and offer clarity and consistency for this whole term. This decision has not been taken lightly, as we know students prefer in-person teaching, but we also recognise the desire for a period of stability as we tackle the pandemic given the new variant of this virus and the need to support the national effort to suppress transmission.”

This will not include students on certain practical courses at York. These include Medicine, Nursing and Midwifery, PGCE courses in Education and Social Work.

The current England-wide lockdown is set to last for six weeks, meaning in-person teaching cannot continue until at least mid-February. In the email students received this evening, the VC says “a more realistic assessment is that this will be extended, likely into March and for us, through to the end of term”.

The email also addresses student concerns on accessing campus throughout the next six weeks. The University of York is not closed, “study spaces, the libraries, accommodation, on-campus supermarkets, on-campus catering and student support services will all remain available.”

Current Government guidance states that students should remain where they are if possible, this means staying at home for many students.

York students who feel “their physical and mental wellbeing will be better served by returning to York may do so, and students who do not have adequate study facilities at home (eg good wifi, computer equipment or study space) may also return.”

First year students and anyone living in campus accommodation will be contacted shortly “about the impact of this new guidance, including many questions on rents.”

Questions regarding assessments and adjustments will be addressed “in the coming days”, whilst the University of York will also be “exploring additional ways to amplify our provision of academic, social, pastoral and wellbeing and employability initiatives.”

Further information can be found on the University of York Covid page.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• York’s Vice-Chancellor confirms Spring Term will start ‘as planned’

• Visually impaired York student wins legal battle over Universal Credit

• University of York gives students free lockdown goodie bags