UYSWC Charity Swim for Target Ovarian Cancer

It’s the fifth annual one swim for charity

students uni uoy york yusu

The University of York’s Swimming and Water Polo Club will be participating in a 12 hour swim to raise funds for their partner charity, Target Ovarian Cancer.

The charity work to improve early diagnosis, fund life-saving research and provide much-needed support to women with ovarian cancer.

Last year, the club swam a combined 324.75km and are hoping to beat that target this year.  All are welcome to participate in the charity swim if they want to help raise money for the cause.

The Facebook event for the 12 hour swim says that “This is open to non-members to get involved too, whether you just want to swim 1 length or 100 lengths, we invite you to join us.

All donations to such a worthy charity, helping to save and change lives and supporting women with ovarian cancer will be greatly appreciated.”

Alternatively, you can donate at the club’s Just Giving page which can be found here. They have currently raised £320 and have a target of £2000.

This is the fifth consecutive year that the club has done a charity swim for Target Ovarian Cancer. The tradition began when one of the club’s members was diagnosed with ovarian cancer five years ago. Sadly, she passed away, although the swimming club continue to raise money for the charity in memory of her.

Astrid Morkot, a member of the university’s Swimming and Water Polo Club, told The York Tab: “Target Ovarian Cancer is a wonderful charity and is close to our club’s heart after sadly losing one of our members in 2016. We hope to raise both awareness and donations by undertaking this annual challenge as a team.”

If you would like to show your support to the team, the swim will take place between 6AM and 6PM on Friday 6th March. It will be at York Sport Village and spectators are welcomed.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

These York students waxed their legs and ran across campus naked for charity

York win Varsity after at least 7 Durham teams fail to show up