Here are all the best places to romanticise spring as a student in York

You can thank me later for these hidden gems, preferably with hot cross bun flavoured tea

With Easter quickly approaching, now is the ideal time to get into the spring mood in York. If you’re searching for some underrated spots after a seemingly endless winter, this guide will help you to rediscover the city and beat the semester two blues. These are all the best ways to romanticise spring as a York student.

Level up your brunch at Bar Hashery

Bar Hashery is an absolute must to switch up your brunch in York. Located close to York Art Gallery, this cosy independent café offers all day breakfast (vegan friendly!), speciality coffee, and bakery items, as well as signature savoury waffles. Trust me, you do not want to miss them. With a welcoming space and staff, this is the ideal location to romanticise the coffeeshop aesthetic and start your spring.

Go vintage shopping at Chinese Laundry

Fancy treating yourself to a spring shop in York? There are some charming vintage stores around the city, including Chinese Laundry on Goodramgate. Selling branded and original clothing, this spot has unique pieces to make you feel like the main character in your spring wardrobe (but be prepared to fight over the bargain baskets).

Try a range of Easter teas at Bird & Blend

For tea lovers like myself, the opening of Bird & Blend in York was music to our ears. You can head here to browse a wall of tea (yes, seriously) and watch the mixing process. This spot is generous with samples, so make sure to try the seasonal teas while they are on offer, from cream egg to hot cross bun sticky chai. If that’s still not enough tea for you, they even sell a tea-infused easter egg.

Have a spring picnic at Dean’s Park

York has some beautiful green spaces to enjoy the spring weather (fingers crossed). With views overlooking York Minster, Dean’s Park is an idyllic backdrop for a group picnic or solo date. Plus, why not extend your visit with a trip inside the Minster? You may as well capitalise on the perks of free entry for York students while you can.

Go all out for Easter at York Chocolate Festival

York is known for its food stalls, but the chocolate festival from March 27th to 31st promises to take this up a level. To support local businesses like York Chocolate Story, there will be a food market and bar selling everything from traditional hot chocolate to chocolate variations on savoury classics, as well as a museum of chocolate models. If you’ve not seen it online yet, you need to search for the chocolate model of York Minster…

Visit the Aesthetica Art Prize

York Art Gallery is currently hosting the Aesthetica Art Prize, a contemporary exhibit open until April 21st. For fans of visual arts, graphic design, and media, this is a must-visit cultural spot to explore new and upcoming pieces from artists around the world. It’s also worth noting that the art gallery will be displaying Monet’s “The Water-Lily Pond” from May! This really is the best spot to be an it girl this spring.

Play mini golf at Hole in the Wand

Calling all Harry Potter and fantasy fans, Hole in the Wand is a mini golf course on Coppergate offering an immersive experience and free potion for every player. Taken from Dragon’s Den, this location guarantees a competitive day out during spring time. You can also head to the Wizard Tavern for cauldron cake after your win – or loss. In any case, if you make the last hole, you can practically call yourself a pro golfer.

Romanticise the regency era at York Mansion House

If the next season of Bridgerton can’t come quickly enough for you, York Mansion House is a historic site worth seeing without having to leave the city centre. With elevated architecture and orchestral music, here you can explore more about the history on your doorstep. Be sure to take advantage of reduced ticket price for York residents!

Take a day trip to Harrogate

Travelling from York train station to Harrogate in spring will give you a change of scenery without hurting your student bank account, with tickets for under £5. Harrogate is a picturesque spa town with museums, book shops, galleries, and even another Betty’s. Besides this, I’m still thinking about the coffee at Brio Café.

Attend York Literature Festival

York Literature Festival is back for another year, celebrating current writers like I’m a Fan author Sheena Patel, with events across the city. I personally attended Natalie Haynes’ discussion of Divine Might, followed by a book signing and (much appreciated) glass of wine. For all the book lovers and Jack Edwards fans, this one is for you.

There really are no shortage of options to romanticise spring as a York student, from good eats to seasonal events. Who said it had to be the most boring season?