Meet this year’s creme-de-la-creme of athleticism: The Captains

The leaders of this year’s sports teams battle for your new blood

As the new year approaches and sporty, protein-filled freshers start to fret about which sports team’s kit shows off their perfectly sculpted bodies, we at The Tab thought it would be prudent to give you an in-depth, probing and insightful look at some of the more popular teams’ captains to assist in any decision making.

Watch out though, these jocks haven’t got where they are today by their athletic prowess alone. Their chat level is also up there with some of the highest banter merchants on campus. Lethal stuff.

BOYS

Cricket- Ollie Marsh

UYCC’s captain showing he can sit in water and hold beer simultaneously.

Course and Year

2nd Year, Economics

Hometown

From the best place in the UK, London. York is second of course.

What is the funniest or most memorable moment from last season/tour?

During Roses, our old man of the team, Thomas Waghorn (or Waggers), was fielding at slip. The batsmen edged the ball in his direction. Waggers completely miss-times his attempt of the catch; the ball flies through his hands and hits him squarely in the crotch. Apparently his missus wasn’t very pleased, told him to improve his hand skills…

What makes you the best team at Uni?

The disgusting level of bant. Plus also have the best looking man on campus, Sage Kugathasan. On a serious note, as club we are improving quickly and have all the right things in place for us to improve further.

Who is the one to look out for in your club (and why)?

Tim Weston is a top, top batsman and is due a big score this season. Watch out!

Football- David Belshaw

Up close and personal with Mr. Belshaw over a flirty morning coffee

Course and Year

3rd Year, History.

Hometown

Nottingham.

Most memorable moment was definitely when Tranty scored to secure the league title against Trinity. Funniest was Balzan giving a Roehampton netballer a strip tease on tour.

What makes you the best team at Uni?

What makes us the best is simply the spirit and togetherness that runs right through our club. That’s the reason we have 4 teams all getting better every year and challenging for titles.

Josh Bew- made himself the standout Fresher in the 1’s last season, a complete centre forward that brings guaranteed goals.

Rugby- Thom Arnott

UYRUFC’s main man enjoying some down time at the local watering hole.

Course and Year

PEP, 3rd Year

Hometown

Canterbury

The most memorable moment would be beating Durham by one point after coming from behind. The funniest moment involved an esteemed clubman, a hotel security guard and a fire extinguisher.

What makes you the best team at Uni?

The club’s best trait is its ability to balance a friendly and vibrant social life with a dedicated and professional attitude that consistently sets up all its teams for successful seasons filled with exciting and enjoyable rugby.

Who is the one to look out for in your club (and why?)

Thomas Ballaster, known to his enemies as ‘The Balrog’: men tremble and women go weak at the knees at the sound of his name. He can be found skulking in dark corners of Salvation on a Wednesday night.

GIRLS

Hockey- Katie Penrose

UYHC’s leader showing she really does “Bleed Black and Gold.”

Course and Year

3rd Year, Philosophy, Economics and Politics

Hometown

Preston, Lancashire

My most memorable moment was beating Leeds Met 2s in the last game of the BUCS season. It was the biggest game any of us had played for York because it was a relation battle: whichever of the two teams lost the game would be relegated. And we won! It was an amazing team performance, with fantastic supporters lining one side on the astro cheering us on all the way.

What makes you the best team at Uni?

We are the best team at University because we are all a close group of friends spanning the academic year groups. We have great fun on and off the pitch, and support each other in all aspects of life. You won’t feel alone if you join hockey. Last year we travelled to Wakefield using four different forms of public transport (train, by foot, taxi and bike) to arrive 2 hours later with no opposition to play due to confusion with the fixture dates. Yet we still had a great day out as a team, full of laughter and finished the weekend with a team night out to Revs! We also play in two leagues, BUCS on a Wednesday and Yorkshire League at the weekend, so if you love hockey, UYHC is the place to be.

Keep an eye out for Liz Furber the Ladies 1s goalkeeper. She was incredible in our game against Leeds Met and has literally saved the day on many occasions. Hopefully with increased confidence as she goes into second year, she will continue to provide the security at the back. Another player to look out for is Emily Arter, the Ladies 2s captain. In her position at central midfield she controls the game and exudes confidence. She will be a fantastic leader for the Ladies 2s and I also cannot wait to work alongside her and Olivia Newport as Ladies captains.

Lacrosse-Chloe Searle

UYLC’s leading lady doing a splendid cropping job.

Course and Year

2nd Year, Social Science

Hometown

London

It’s probably got to be Nick Wesson showing his dedication to the club when on tour in Prague by getting the tour emblem of a wizard’s hat tattooed on his arse.

What makes you the best team at Uni?

Well apart from the fact that we have voted ‘Best Looking Team on Campus’ three years running now, I’d say it probably because literally all we do is win, win, win.

Who is the one to look out for in your club (and why?)The one to look out for I’d say is our new president Claire Thomas who has been training up in Wales for most of the summer. She will certainly be a force to be reckoned with on the pitch this season.

Netball Vice-Captain – Hollie Dixon

The UYNC making waves at recent house night

Course and Year

I study Economics, Environment & Ecology and I’m in my third year.

Hometown

Tunbridge Wells

Best moment this year has got to be when we got promoted! We were all so excited and has set us up for an awesome year to come!

What makes you the best team at Uni?

We are of course the best club because we are UYNC! We train hard, play hard and are a family.

It’s really hard to say who to look out for as we have so many amazing players ready for next season so I would say we are more a club to look out for as this was the first promotion of many!