Five things you must do this week…

There’s more than enough to get us through the Week Ten blues…

TEDx Ticket Sales – St Andrews’ very own version of the uber-successful TED franchise is back, with this year themed around the ‘Power of Play’. Twelve inspiring speakers, ranging from screenwriter and director Tim Sullivan to comedian Gavin Oattes and many inbetween, will be presenting their “ideas worth spreading”. Tickets are rather expensive at £40 but, just think – that’s about the same price as a Ball and you’re sure to remember a hell of a lot more of TEDx (probably because they’re serving tea and not alcohol…) and you might even learn something worthwhile! While the event itself is on the 26th of April, ticket sales end this Friday at 9pm and none will be sold on the door, so don’t miss out…

The Vagina Monologues – The Vagina Monologues hit Venue 1 this Monday and Tuesday at 7.30pm, with the money raised going to a cause close to home – Fife Women’s Aid as well as the V:Day Foundation. The organisers are billing it as a “mixture of hilarious, intimate, serious and heart-warming monologues” and emphasise that it’s not just for women. They believe men can learn a lot from the show and this year, for the first time, there’s a male cast member… you don’t need to be a woman to care about vaginas, we pretty much all came from one, remember? Tickets can be bought on the night or online. Get ready to get personal…

Scottish A Cappella Championship – The St Andrews A Cappella Society are hosting their inaugural Scottish A Cappella Championship this Friday, 7pm in Younger Hall. With seven groups competing (five of them hailing from the ‘capital’ of a cappella – St Andrews – where else?) and The St Andrews Revue providing entertainment, this Friday is a perfect excuse to give in to every St Andrean’s guilty pleasure. Tickets are £6 for students and will be on sale Wednesday and Thursday outside the library from 10-4pm. We’ve heard The Other Guys are performing Coldplay’s Fix You so, in light of Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘conscious uncoupling’, we suggest you bring the tissues – just in case.

Under Canvas/ Rugby 7s – If there’s one debate that’s really crucial right now it’s the Under Canvas/Rugby 7s toss up. Like all age-old debates, it’s a pretty close contest… Under Canvas is providing five incredible acts and “festival-inspired musical revelry” while Rugby 7s claims to be the “loosest” night in St Andrews and with the £10 entry and the cheap drinks, it probably will be… all I can say here is, each to their own.

Flavours of Malaysia – This Saturday night is surely the most exciting of the term with yet another amazing event, The St Andrews Malaysian International Group’s Flavours of Malaysia, making your destination decision even harder… The night runs from 6.30 – 9.30pm at the Holy Trinity Church Hall and promises to “seduce your senses and titillate your taste buds” with wonderful Malaysian Food – apparently the “best in the world”. Ticket sales are £10 for members (£12 for non-members) and are taking place outside the Rector’s Café Monday and Tuesday 1-5pm. You’re advised to bring stretchy trousers as it’s all you can eat… Why would you want to be anywhere else?