Review: John Burnet Hall Ball

The Battle of the Balls commences

On Friday night John Burnet Hall offered us a chance to step in to Wonderland.  A formal dinner started the evening, with everyone arriving in Alice themed costumes. Mad Hatters and Alices galore sat at tables with names such as  “This Way”, “That Way”, and “Into the Forest”, and along with a starter placed in teacups fully transported us through the Looking Glass.

Pre-drinks followed with a fountain of sparkly blue Woo-Woo acting as the centre piece, and the Old Course beckoned for the real party to get underway. At the hotel, a jazz ensemble kept up the tempo of the evening, creating a fun and lively atmosphere for everyone to get thoroughly jolly to.  Following their fantastic performance, a ceilidh band really stole the show, with everyone taking to the dance floor for Strip the Willow in a mayhem of drunken toe-stepping.

The decorations proved very Alice-esque, with crowns and arrows adorning tables along with signs saying “Drink Me” and a Fisher & Donaldson cupcake table with the classic “Eat Me” – we certainly didn’t need to be told that twice! When everyone had eaten and drank their way to a happy medium, a DJ took to the stage to handle the rest of the night in true St Andrews fashion, ensuring everyone danced their way home still full of delicious cupcakes and that bizarre blue stuff!

The head of the committee Keziah May deserves an honourable mention as the keystone to bringing the night together.  Her perseverance and planning really brought the entire night together, and with help of so many others turned out to be a big success.

Overall, it was an awesome night of fabulous themed costumes, perfect decorations, and music that had everyone up on their feet. John Burnet Hall created a night that we’ll never forget.  We’re all mad here, after all…