How to have a successful student-house christmas dinner

Yule never believe it was this easy!

advice Christmas dinner

You’ve probably realised (what with the whole world being lit up with fairy lights) that Christmas is on its way. This also means the end of term is fast approaching – Christmas + end of term = ‘let’s get creative and cook a slap-up house Christmas dinner’. Great idea if you know how, disaster if you don’t. Here are a few tips that can give you a nudge in the right direction!

Make sure you’ve got everything you need to cook

It seems fairly obvious that you’d need these things to actually cook a turkey, yet so many forget that you can’t just place a raw bird on the oven rack. Make sure you’ve got an oven tray or dish, because it will make your life a whole lot easier. Or two, for that matter.

If your landlord isn’t kind enough to have provided you with two ovens, it might be a good idea to ask your neighbours if you can use theirs, because there’s nothing worse than having cold turkey and boiling hot roast potatoes.

Set a dress code

A little bit of effort goes a long way, and don’t you want to look back at photos of uni in the future and remember how adorable you all were?

You don’t all have to be matching, and it doesn’t have to be formal. Even if it’s just Christmas jumpers, it doesn’t matter because it’s all fun at the end of the day. You’ll feel more like a little family, and you’ll have some photos to show your parents that don’t include you scantily clad or holding a pint.

‘Tis the season

Too many cooks spoil the broth. Designate jobs! 

It’s true. Too many people buzzing around in the kitchen trying to do everything at once causes stress and tension. Before you even start thinking about setting a date, assign everyone in the household a role, such as Private Parsnip Purchaser or Chief Turkey Carver. It’ll save a whole lot of blood, sweat, and tears, literally (maybe).

Make sure the head chef can actually cook, though!

Veggies are important – don’t forget them!

Your parents keep moaning at you about eating your veggies for a good reason. If you forget them, your plateful of turkey, potatoes and stuffing could get a bit boring by the time you’re on your third helping. Besides, you can make some mean sides and trimmings with them if you know how, or are feeling creative.

Your eyes are probably bigger than your belly.

And finally, DON’T FORGET THE GRAVY.

Just, please don’t.